Junior gives an exclusive look behind the stage with Crew

Ari McCrea, Staff writer

Ever wondered what the scene is for students off stage? The effort put in to create just a few scenes for a play? Here’s your lucky day, as we get the pleasure to see junior John Holben’s perspective of his time working in stage crew.

“In freshman year, we’d mess around while moving props by getting in tickle fights.” said Holben who’s been working in stage crew since eighth grade.

He’s worked on a total of four musicals and five plays in counting. 

Stage crew is a really good opportunity for students. You can have a creative outlet, find a few friends, and it’s not completely serious all the time. 

“Working with John is laid back and fun. It doesn’t even feel like work,” said fellow crew member junior Jason Brahler. Brahler has been working in stage crew with Holben since ninth grade, mainly painting sets.

He and Holben have been friends since first grade, and they work the sound board together. They spend their free days going to flee markets, getting records, and jamming out in Brahler’s garage together.

Holben also likes working with the director of stage crew; retired art teacher Mrs. Adams. 

“She’s  creative and always knows how to make the sets spectacular. She has a beautiful mind,” he said.

If you’re considering joining the crew for the next play, go for it. There’s something for everyone to do, and it might even lead you to a future job.  Holben and Brahler said they wouldn’t mind doing something similar after high school. 

“It’s good for people who aren’t social to be social, it’s fun, and you get a proud feeling after everything’s done and decorated.” said Holben.

The scene he’s most proud of working on is the living room in Nice Work If You Can Get it, our school’s most recent musical. He describes it as an, “Art deco living room inspired by the Joker’s lair in the original Batman.”

Holben’s mom, Holly Holben, says she, “…thinks stage crew is a good activity whether you are super creative or not, there is something for everyone to do. It’s a good way to make friends socialize, and learn how to work together. Believe it or not, you will use that all your life. I’m glad John does it because he can paint, and I don’t have to clean it up.” 

Junior Ari McCrea loves to make art with almost every medium–acrylic paint, oil pastels, chalk pastels, watercolor, markers and pens. She also like to embroider, sew, and to hang out with friends. You’ll probably find her in the library or the art room!