Are you hiding behind your anxiety and depression? Photo by: Madalyn Guthrie

Anxiety in a World of Pressure

The Secrets Behind KHS Students

February 15, 2017

I sit up from my seat trying to catch my breath. There is so much fear in my eyes that I swear if you would look at me you would never be able to get that image out of your mind. I walk into school praying that no one will notice me. It takes everything in me to ask in front of the class to go to my locker. I sit there hoping my face doesn’t get red. I don’t want people to notice how uncomfortable I really am. When I take a test, I can barely hold my pencil because my palms are so sweaty. I wish teachers would just stop calling on me. You’d think they’d notice the way I freeze up anytime I get attention. Now it’s time to go up and buy my lunch. I pray as I walk up that I don’t have a panic attack. Please, please, don’t have a panic attack.

These aren’t even half of the thoughts that high school students with anxiety disorders/ depression deal with each and every day. Think about how that would feel for your heart to never stop pounding all 7 hours of school. We need to make a difference. We need people to realize how common and serious this really is.

Anonymous 16-year-old girl at KHS:

M: What do you struggle with?

Anon: I struggle with anxiety, social anxiety, and depression.

M: What do you see as the main cause of anxiety as a high schooler?

Anon: With social anxiety, it’s hard to participate in class. I feel like some of my teachers think I don’t care about what’s being taught or that I’m not paying attention. I hate being called on in class and having to talk in front of people. I always get shaky and sweaty. My heart pounds and my face gets red. To help with my face getting red I wear a lot of foundation. I don’t want people to see that I am nervous. For presentations I get all worked up and I get sick to my stomach beforehand. I have a hard time making friends because I don’t talk much so people think I’m weird. I always put pressure on myself to take challenging classes and do well. But, this only adds to my stress and depression.

M: Do you believe anxiety disorders are a main issue in high school in today’s society?

Anon: I feel anxiety is a big problem in today’s society. I feel like most people are loud and talk a lot. When people are quiet and socially awkward, I think people judge them and just give up on them. For me, it takes a long time before I open up and be myself around people. I have had people think I was a snob, moody, and weird, but I’m really not.

M: There are so many people hiding behind their anxiety, struggling each day, what is one thing you would say to them if they ever approached you asking for advice?

Anon: I would tell them to go to therapy. But, some things I have learned is to love and accept yourself just the way you are. Keep in touch with friends even on really bad days. I would tell them to breathe. Always take slow deep breaths when you feel yourself getting nervous. Do activities that you love to get your mind off of things.

M: Does social networking affect how you feel each day? In a negative or a positive way?

Anon: I always see beautiful people on social media and it hurts the way that I look at myself. Also, there are funny and outgoing people that are liked by others on social media. It makes me want to be like that and I pressure myself to be like that but it’s really hard. I would just like to easily love myself and be myself around others.

M: Have you always struggled with anxiety, or did it appear more over the last few years?

Anon: I have had anxiety and social anxiety for pretty much as long as I can remember. I just started feeling depressed over the last few years.

M: Are you comfortable talking with people about your anxiety or do you normally keep it all in?

Anon: I do not feel comfortable at all talking about it. I only tell people that I feel completely comfortable with about my problems.

M: What is one thing that has really helped you as you struggle with your anxiety?

Anon: Friends and therapy has helped me a lot.

M: Please share one way others can help you with your anxiety.

Anon: Being with friends helps me to keep my mind off of things and helps me with the stress.

Anonymous 15-year-old boy at KHS:

M: What do you struggle with?

Anon: I struggle with the same amount of anxiety as I do depression.

M: What are the main pressures that cause your anxiety on a day to day basis as a high school student?

Anon: Tests, social life, and work.

Anon: No and yes. Is it the main issue? No. But does it matter? Yes.

Anon: Find someone to talk to or you can even talk to me (See Miss. Thompson for his contact information).

M: Does social networking affect how you feel each day? In a negative or positive way?

Anon: Yes, and to tell the truth it impacts me in a positive and negative way.

Anon: I guess anxiety has appeared over the past few years for me. But I’ve had depression since I was little.

Anon: I do talk to people, but sometimes I just don’t want anyone’s help.

Anon: For sure my dog.

Anon: Either talk to me or see if you need help.

Kristie Knights: Psychotherapist (my mom)

M: Do you believe that anxiety disorders or even just anxiety in general is a large issue in this century for high schoolers?

K: Yes, approximately 20% of teens suffer from generalized anxiety.

M: What do you see as the main cause of anxiety from a high student?

K: Parental and academic pressures to perform and achieve. Unrealistic expectations created by teens themselves to excel not only academically, but socially as well.  Social media has created a storm of issues that are constantly in their faces multiple times a day.

M: What is your opinion on social networking as a high school student? Does it create more anxiety?

K: Yes, it does.  Teens are comparing themselves multiple times a day to many others.  They are seeing poor role models in the world of celebrities glorifying popularity, drugs, and alcohol.  It creates a feeling of being left out or need to fit in.

M: What do you have to say to the people who are struggling with an anxiety disorder, but is hiding behind it?

K: You are not alone.  So many others suffer from anxiety.  It is curable.  There are many methods to manage the anxiety, and dispel it.  Seek professional support to provide you with the tools necessary to be healthy and alleviate the stress.

M: What can people do who don’t have an issue with anxiety for those who do struggle with it?

K: They can validate their feelings, and encourage their friend to seek support.

M: Is there anything else you would like to add?

K: I believe you covered it all.  However, please know, often depression accompanies anxiety.  If you suffer from anxiety, there is a good chance depression may be an issue as well.  Be sure to seek the support you need to gain the coping skills.

KHS Student who struggles with depression: “It’s hard to get stuff done when I don’t feel motivated at all. It’s so hard to get up in the morning when all I want to do is sleep.”-Anonymous 16-year-old Girl at KHS

To sum it all up, you may not realize it, but there are so many students that struggle with anxiety and depression. Instead of ganging up on each other, we should help one another because after all, we are all a lot more alike than we may seem.

View Comments(1)
Photo of Madalyn Guthrie
Madalyn Guthrie, News Editor
Hello there fellow readers! I'm a teenager who writes for fun with some pretty big dreams. Jesus is my man and he's my #1 fan! I aspire to be a  journalist someday writing in a poverty-stricken country, serving as a missionary as well. Fashion is pretty rad, and so is photography, and adventuring this pretty cool world. I enjoy writing about anything beauty, lifestyle, travel, news, mental health, or whatever is on my mind. Oh and I work at a Mexican restaurant and I love it! So now that you know a little about me, sit back, relax, and check out our newspaper!

• S

ShayneFeb 17, 2017 at 09:42

Very nicely done! Thanks so much for posting!

Reply
1