More than firefighting

March 24, 2022

There are many types of different people in this world and some were born with the purpose to make a difference. Of course, if you want to make a difference you are going to have to start small with your community before you can expand. One of the things people do when helping out their community or other communities is volunteer work. Of course there are many different ways to volunteer, with one that seems to impact Saxonburg the most being the Fire Department.

Senior Matthew Imhoff said,“I feel as if I am helping out at every turn, from saving lives on calls to doing fundraisers, dinners, setting up the carnival, and hosting the sportsman fest, I feel especially great for throwing in my lot for the community.”  

This sentiment is the driving force that propels these people to help out, and serve the community. This driving force is nothing new. The department was established in the 1930s. You can thank Aaron Bachman, the very first chief of the Saxonburg fire department, for establishing it. Surprisingly, Saxonburg had no fire department for a full 100 years after the establishment of the town.     

When it comes to most parades, festivals in town, and major fundraisers you can thank the men and women of the station for helping in setting up these events. One of their most popular events they host is the Sportsman Fest, which if you don’t know it’s pretty much a raffle where you can win firearms. The qualification is that you have to be a minimum of 18 years of age with a photo ID to participate. Recently they hosted a fish dinner at their first fire hall for Lent, the same location where bingo is played. Of course that is not only what the fire department is responsible for; they are the ones that take charge in setting up the Saxonburg Carnival that comes every Summer. 

“There is a saying that both paid firefighters and volunteers can agree with: the weight of your pager is very light until it goes off then the weight of the whole world is on your shoulders,” said Imhoff.

Remember they are firefighters. It’s their job to respond and deal with any disasters no matter how big or small they are; they all have a duty to hold up to. Give them your thanks. It will be well appreciated. Want to get involved? You can donate to the Saxonburg Fire Company or you can volunteer your help will be greatly appreciated.  

http://www.svfc.com/