Breakfast: Most Important Meal of the Day?

March 1, 2023

A world of pancakes, waffles, cereal (especially Cinnamon Toast Crunch), and eggs; seems like a world that everyone would want to be a part of, right?  WRONG!  Whether or not we want to believe it, the truth around us is that not everyone partakes in objectively the most important meal of the day. 

While I believe that everyone should eat breakfast just for the sake of being able to enjoy the lovely foods of the morn’, there is also scientific evidence arguing the importance of starting off your day with something to eat.  

According to a 2017 statement from the American Heart Association, “74% of breakfast skippers did not meet two thirds of the Recommended Dietary Allowance for vitamins and minerals compared with 41% of those who consumed breakfast.”  See?  Scientific proof that eating pancakes smothered with maple syrup at 9 in the morning is good for your body!  But not only are there physical effects, there are also positive psychological benefits and detriments to having something to eat in your mornings. 

Food is essential to give you energy, and when you need that energy most is at the beginning of your day to fuel you for the ridiculous amount of time you’re going to spend at the school.  For people that have usually worked breakfast in their routine, when they have to skip eating, they feel the effects. 

When fellow breakfast eater junior Jade Nether isn’t able to have a little somethin’ somethin’ in her mornings, it reflects in her mood, making her more easily annoyed and angered.  She enjoys her morning meal and regrets when she has to miss it.

“I get a little upset to be honest.  I think ‘Wow, I really wish I had that granola bar.’” 

And I’d like to go on record and say that breakfast doesn’t always have to be a huge feast of pancakes and eggs, although in my ideal world I’d wake up on a bed of french toast and a cinnamon roll pillow.  For some people who don’t have time, something quick like a bar of some sort or some yogurt can suffice.  For junior Sydnee Pitkins, the morning usually means something like a protein shake.  When asked why she doesn’t treat herself to more sustenance, Pitkins explained that she simply “[doesn’t] want to wake up earlier for something that I’m fine without.”  She did admit that eating breakfast would be a wise decision, but that, since we eat lunch at the absurd time of 10:30, she “might as well wait til lunch.”

Both Pitkins and sophomore Kevin Justi foolishly said that lunch was the most important meal of the day (in this professional food eater’s opinion, lunch would be the LEAST important- just saying my piece).  Though Justi thinks more people should eat breakfast, he maintains that it is not the most important meal.  The boy claims that when he has breakfast he does have more energy, but that “sometimes I feel sick.”  Typical sophomore speak, can’t even handle a simple breakfast meal.  Maybe sort out your temperamental stomach, Justi? 

To wrap this up, much like a breakfast burrito, eating breakfast is just a good idea all around, as long as you don’t have a little baby stomach.  Not only are there internal physical benefits to having some nutrients to start your day, but breakfast also gives you the energy and motivation to take on the day!  And to be honest, lately the thought of having my morning bowl of cereal or English muffin & cream cheese is the only thing that’s getting me out of bed.  And if you want something to eat and have time, by all means, treat your body and give it the food that it needs!!!  Even if it does mean waking up ten minutes earlier, and I know what a big ask that is, your body will thank you.  In the wise words of breakfast enthusiast senior Haydn Hughes, “Wakey wakey eggs and bacey.” 

***And for all my foodies out there, if you want the best pancake in the entire world, get the cinnamon roll pancakes from Canela Cafe in Butler.  Life.  Changing.***