The Many Faces of Faith

Religions throughout KHS

March 23, 2017

The Many Faces of Faith

The people at “Pew Forum” have explained that, in 2014, 63% Americans now say that they are “absolutely certain God exists.” Which has dropped from 92% in 2007.

Some adults now say they are self-identified as “Atheists” or “Agnostic” as well as many who describe it as “nothing in particular” from 23% which has increased since 2007 at 16%.

It is agreeable to say that religion has been a bit controversial. Therefore, throughout the school I asked around to see the different religions of students. I am aware there are many more faiths then just the ones in this article, but it would have gotten a bit long if I did all of them. This article is not made to persuade you in any way; it is just to show the differences throughout Knoch High School.

Name: Brant Durham

Grade: 11

Agnosticism: a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.

• What is your definition of agnosticism?

“I believe in a god and some of his teachings. But the bible is far fetched.”

• What has caused you to come to this conclusion?

“While growing up being very religious, it was forced upon me, I never had any interest. So years ago, I came to the conclusion that it didn’t make much sense.”

• What is your opinion on religion/religious people?

“People who follow a religion think they are superior even though they are following something they can’t even see or touch.”

• Do you have anything to add?

“Do as you please and believe in whatever you want.”

Name: Chanel Lefever

Grade: 12

Atheism: disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods

• What is your definition of atheism?

“Not believing in a higher power, afterlife, etc.”

“Since I was little I never really “connected” with religion at all, and at one point, I felt like a bad person for not believing. I discovered I felt better about myself being content with not believing at all, religion shouldn’t be forced.”

“As long as people are respectful, and understand that others do not always feel the same way, then I think people should feel free to practice their religions as they please.”

• Do you have anything to add?

“Atheists aren’t terrible people. Absence from religion does not make someone less of a person, and it is demeaning for a religious person to try to force his or her religion on an atheist. Respect people as people, not based on their god (or lack of).”

Name: Connor Johns

Grade: 11

Non-denominational: open or acceptable to people of any Christian denomination

Attends: “New Life Christian Ministries”

• How did you begin attending this church?

“I began attending this church around the age of one or two. My parents and our pastor were a part of a group of people who left the Presbyterian Church (PCUSA); because they did not agree with a change in the teaching done by that denomination. Our church was created a little later and I have been attending this church since the church began.”

• Describe your relationship with your faith.

“I have a strong relationship with my faith. I try to spend time doing devotions and prayer every day.”

• Was there a time where your faith/religion has changed, why?

“No, there has never been time where my faith or religion changed. I have always had my faith.”

• What is your opinion on other religions or atheism?

“I don’t agree with a lot of other religions and I don’t think that they are the answer; but it won’t stop me from showing them the love of God to everyone else.”

Name: Allie Gore

Grade: 12

Non-denominational

Attends: “Victory Family Church”

“My sister started going there and really loved how authentic it is, so our whole family joined.”

“It is the most important thing to me. It is what keeps me going. I know I am not perfect but God’s mercy is greater than my sins. I wake up and I am thankful to be alive and as blessed as I am. With Jesus by my side I can never fail, He is greater. I have more love in my heart and positivity with Him.”

“I was always a believer/Christian but when I was younger I was Methodist and also Presbyterian. Because that’s how it was when I was younger.”

“I love them and there’s no judging but I know they are lost and need to feel Jesus.”

• Do you have anything else you would like to add?

“Walking with Jesus every day is truly fulfilling. To know His love, truth, and mercy are just unexplainable. Knowing He loves you, so much, no matter your past, is truly amazing. Waking up every morning and receiving His mercy will always be enough. Life is so meaningful with Jesus in your soul. So accept him today. I promise it is the best decision you’ll make.”

Name: Caleb Robb

Grade: 11

Roman Catholic

Attends: “St. Joe’s”

“My parents began bringing me there since I was young.”

“I am a strong follower of my faith. I have only missed two services in my life and I do not plan on missing anymore.”

“Yes, I wasn’t really committed when I was younger. Now I am a fully involved in my faith.”

Name: Emerson Peterson

Grade: 10

Hellenism: the national character or culture of Greece, especially ancient Greece

• Describe your religion.

“My religion is a polytheistic belief in the Greek deities.”

• How has your belief influenced your life?

“Being around so many stories, places, and in general seeing so, interested and enthralled me by polytheistic Greek culture.”

• Was there a time where you faith/religion has changed, why?

“Yes, in late ninth grade. I had considered the religion for a few months, but then it solidified when praying to specific gods made me feel more comfortable.”

• What is your opinion on other religions?

“No religion is wrong. However, it is immoral when people use religion to spread negative messages and their own agenda.”

“There are many Greek deities, and I am faithful to them all, but I do pay closer attention to those I feel more aligned with. Lords Apollo, Poseidon, and Hephaestus are the male deities I fell closer to. Ladies Athena, Nyx, and Artemis are the female deities I feel closer to.”