Cuffing Season- A Change of Heart

October 13, 2017

Cuffing Season- A Change of Heart

As I was talking with my friends about the on and off relationships during the months of September-February, I was introduced to something called Cuffing Season. We learn something new everyday, and this happened to be one of the most interesting things that I’ve ever heard of. If you aren’t aware of what cuffing season is, let me explain it to you.

So basically, during the fall and winter months the people who normally would rather be single and flirty tend to find themselves along with the rest of the world, desiring to be “cuffed” or tied down by a serious relationship. You see, the cold weather and the prolonged indoor activities cause the singles to become lonely and desperate. This is when we can spend the long, and miserable frigid months with that special someone.

The Huffington Post said that the dating app Hinge polled 1,000 of its active users, asking in what months they are most interested in finding a relaxed date, or a relationship. It was discovered that men are 15 percent more likely to be looking for a relationship in the winter than any other time of the year. This is where they can cuddle up and get cozy during the frigid months! Women are 5 percent more interested in a serious and committed relationship during these months.

So, I had a little bit of fun interpreting how girls act during cuffing season. Here it is:  (Pretend I’m a girl in need of a boy)

Tis the season for cuffing. As the air gets cold, so does my heart. As the leaves fall, so does my self-sufficiency. It’s sweater weather, and oh how I crave a significant other’s sweatshirt. As spooky season comes upon us, I look for a boyfriend to watch scary movies with. I cuddle up next to you, pretending I’m afraid just for warmth. Oh how cute it would be if I had somebody to dress up for Halloween with as Bonnie and Clyde!

November comes upon us. What am I thankful for? Well, I’m thankful for this boy that I snatched just because I am lonely during the holidays.

It’s December. You know what that means!!! Presents!!! Little does he know, I found his watch in the clearance section of…well actually, I can’t remember what store at the moment, but I’ll be sure to get back to you on that. I just can’t wait to see what he got me!

December 31st. New Year’s Eve. I only brought him to the party because I want a picture for my instagram of our New Year’s kiss!

Oh no. It’s January 1. A new year. I need to break up with him soon. I don’t want him to think I want to spend this year with him. I can’t lead him on. I just need to make it until Valentine’s Day.

Ahhh, love is in the air. I’m curious to see what I will receive. Will it be roses, chocolates, a handmade card, or all of the above?

As spring comes, it’s time to break this relationship off. “I’m sorry, but it’s now time for spring flings and summer sprees,” I tell him pretending to cry.

I know this sounds harsh, and is a lot to take in at once, but just watch, cuffing season really does happen.

Another time that I noticed that people get in relationships is before snowball. We all fear not having a date for the dance, so why not have a relationship that you can rely on?

Junior Brigid Smith said, “I haven’t really noticed any certain couples breaking up after snowball, but it makes sense to me. They just wait out until snowball so that they both have a date because everyone wants one, and then after that they’re over.”

For most people, there’s that one month or time that just sucks to end a relationship. Both junior Chase Mullen and Brigid Smith agree that December is the worst holiday to break up.

“December is the worst month to break up with your boyfriend. This is because it’s the holiday season. It’s romantic and everyone is happy. It’d be awful to go through heartbreak during the happiest and the most romantic time of the year. This is besides of course Valentine’s Day, but that holiday only lasts a day. Christmas is like a month long holiday!,” said Smith.

Mullen said, “It would be devastating to break up during the happiest month of them all.”

Lastly, I asked what season most people break up.

Sophomore Kennedy Christy said, “I think a lot of people break up in the beginning of summer because they don’t want to be tied down. I personally think the summer is the best time to be in a relationship, because you get to see each other all of the time and go do adventurous things, but everyone is different.”

After reading this, watch out for the signs of cuffing season. Look around you and see if any of your friends are going through attention withdrawal. Or better yet, watch to see if you’re taking a part in cuffing season!

“My cuffing season’s usually aren’t successful, but it gives me motivation to wear something other than the same sweatpants with spaghetti stains on them. So, I’m all for it,” said sophomore Claire Lindsey.