2010 Graduate Katie Fissore on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon. (Photo Courtesy of Katie Fissore)
2010 Graduate Katie Fissore on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon.

Photo Courtesy of Katie Fissore

From Small Town to Big Stars

Dreams Become Reality for Knoch Grads

April 17, 2019

You may think coming from a small town like Saxonburg, you’ll never make it big. However, for people like Katie Fissore, Shannon Currie, Jordan Geist, and Marianne Cornetti, nothing could stop them from achieving their dreams.
“When I was younger I watched my dad get laid off from a job that he wasn’t passionate about,” said 2010 Knoch graduate Katie Fissore. “He told me ‘if you find something you like and want to do everyday, do that thing.That’s a gift a lot of people don’t get.’ My father is a Saint, so you listen when Saints give you advice.”
Since graduating from Knoch, Fissore has done exactly that. Despite struggles along the way, she has made her way onto Jimmy Fallon. Her story of getting on the show involves a chance encounter.
“I am a kid’s entertainer for birthday parties. That is a nice way to say clown. I do face painting, games and magic with the kids. There was a holiday party which Jimmy and his family were attending. He and his wife sat and laughed the whole magic show with the kids,” Fissore said. “The magic show is not impressive at all when it comes to magic. It is more of a stand up/ improv comedy skit.”
“I never have felt more validated as a performer in my life when I heard him laugh,” said Fissore. “When the magic show was over, he came up to me and asked me my name. I really can’t explain it, but something switched. I have never more been more proud to say my name in my life. If I am being honest, I don’t remember the exact wording, but I remember my heart beating like crazy and telling his wife the truth about me. I said “I’m stuck as an actress, and I have no idea what to do”. I asked for help. I asked her if she would watch the trailer I had recently filmed. She gave me her email. The next 24 hours were crazy. I was painting faces at a Hanukkah party with about 200 kids and I received an email asking me if I was available to be on the show.”
On top of appearing on Jimmy Fallon, Fissore is also writing her own show (trailer linked below).
“I am working with a coach now to help me fine tune everything so I can pitch my show to networks and streaming services,” she said. “If no one picks it up, I will find a way to make it on my own. Instead of waiting for a show to be written that has a role for me, I am going to write my own. I am going to be the hero of my own dang story.”
It wasn’t always easy for Fissore, though.

Instead of waiting for a show to be written that has a role for me, I am going to write my own. I am going to be the hero of my own dang story.

“It took me 11 months to write 10 pages. I stopped myself more than anyone else ever did. I received my edits for my movie trailer on a Thursday,” she said. “I was on the stairmaster at the gym and started crying uncontrollably because I was so proud of it, and also felt so silly I spent all my money on something like this. I told God, if you can do something with this, I will tell everyone that it’s you. That Sunday I met The Fallon’s. Sure, I did the possible – He did the impossible.”
Fissore isn’t the only Knoch graduate to follow her dreams. 1981 graduate Marianne Cornetti has always had a passion for singing.
“I truly believe that singing is a privilege. I have been given a God given talent and to be able to make my living at such a high level for something I LOVE to do, is a blessing and a privilege,” said Cornetti. “I have been singing professionally now for 30 years. Singing is a way of communicating through song. To be able to positively touch someone through my singing is so humbling.”
Since graduating from high school, Cornetti has become an international opera star. She has performed at a variety of prestigious theatres all around the world including the Metropolitan Opera House in New York, Herodicus in Greece, and the Arena in Verona, Italy.
“You know many people ask me, ‘how does a kid from Cabot, PA make it to become an international opera star?’ I always say that it’s not where you come from, but the village of people who are around you!” said Cornetti.
“I was blessed with parents who did everything to keep me humble and to make me understand where my talent came from. They worked their tails off to pay for all of my lessons, costumes, and transporting me to so many concerts out of town! My teachers were so dedicated to guiding me and nurturing me through high school. And then all of the hundreds of people who supported me and encouraged me to continue to strive and believe in my dreams! But it also takes huge amounts of my love, passion,commitment to my voice, and pursuit of having an international career. And that is a lot of studying and training and voice lessons! I still am taking voice lessons and will continue until the day I step away from the stage!”
Cornetti loves to sing any chance she gets.
“I want the students of Knoch to know that I don’t only sing in the opera. I sing The National Anthem on a regular basis with the Pittsburgh Pirates and The Pittsburgh Steelers,” she said. “I am a HUGE sports fan, and I am a HUGE Pittsburgh sports fan! Still waiting to sing for the Pittsburgh Penguins!”
2017 graduates Shannon Currie and Jordan Geist are also following their dreams.
For Currie, that dream involved moving miles away from home.
“Since graduation I have been attending the University of Louisville studying Communications! I am also on the 19x national champion Ladybirds Dance Team,” said Currie. “I tried out for team the spring before my freshman year of college. It was a 3 day process filled with interviews with the coaches, learning new dances and showing our skills in front of an audience. I actually had to skip my senior prom to attend the try outs! (Best decision ever).”
Currie is proud to be part of the Louisville Ladybirds.
“My favorite thing about being a Ladybird is being able to compete at such a high and competitive level! I also love the football and basketball game days, we get to perform at half times and times outs. Ladybirds are treated like celebrities on our campus due to the fact we had a reality TV show on Lifetime so it’s really cool to be held up to such a high standard,” she said.
Jordan Geist, a.k.a “the Knochness Monster,” has also been working hard at his goals.
“I have been competing for the University of Arizona in track and field as well as a meet representing the United States of America. I have also begun pursuing a business degree at the U of A,” said Geist. “I will be making a run for the 2020 Olympics next year.”
“My future plans are to graduate and continue with track and field,” he said. “I want to become an Olympian and eventually a small business owner.”
All of these graduates would agree if you have a dream, pursue it.
“It doesn’t matter where you come from. If you have a dream and a burning desire to do something, go for it. It’s yours, embrace it! The world is at your feet,” said Cornetti. “Don’t waste opportunities. Every experience is very important! Close your eyes, if you can see your dream and if you truly believe in your dream, you will achieve it.”

Katie’s Welcome to Happy Hour Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YHTS3wQrcA

Advice From Knoch Grads

Katie Fissore

-Don’t take negative advice about your dream from people who aren’t doing their dreams.

– Following any goal is so scary, because most people don’t. People aren’t judging you because they think your goal is dumb, they are judging themselves for not doing the thing that sets their soul on fire. (I have to remind myself of this all the time)

– Tell everyone about your dreams, your plans or goals. The teachers around you will support them , will cheer you. If they don’t- use that as your fire to start. A “we believe” is great for the heart , but a “you can’t do it” gets your butt moving. Of the teachers I had at KHS, I can honestly say I would not even have applied to an acting school if it was not for them. Help is all around you- ASK!

– wanting something and working for something are two different things.

– drink more water. Seriously.

THIS IS HOW A CREDIT CARD WORKS:

If something is on sale and you buy it with a credit card and don’t pay it off that month you did not get the item on sale. I repeat you did not get a deal. The bank adds extra money “interest” to the item. This is how banks make money. Banks will start coming after you when you are 18. When they ask what your parents do for a living ,DO NOT TELL THEM YOUR PARENTS ARE DOCTORS IF THEY ARE NOT. Do not get approved for 10k credit card at 20 if you do not know how credit cards work. Do not pay Chanel prices for Target sundresses.

Shannon Currie

-Don’t be afraid to stray away from home! Moving to Louisville, KY was hard for me but was the best decision I have ever made. I have made some of my closest friends and have had amazing experiences like being on ESPN, Lifetime and winning so many titles! I wouldn’t have been able to accomplish any of that if I was too scared to chase my dream.  Be passionate in everything you do and don’t be afraid to be different.

Jordan Geist

-Knoch did a good job preparing me for the real world. Things get better once you graduate though. Whether you go to college or trade school or start working, you will have more freedom to pursue your dreams.

Marianne Cornetti

-I was so blessed to have a mother that was such a huge influence in my life. My mom would always come in and tuck my brothers and I in bed. She would always say, ‘close your eyes. If you can see your dream and you truly believe in your dream, you WILL achieve it! Then, when she saw that I had a gift for singing, she brought a piece of music to me and said, this a beautiful piece of music from the musical the Sound of Music. It’s called “Climb Every Mountain”. Listen to the words when you are singing it. She said, ‘let it not only be a beacon in your career but also in your life. FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS!! DON’T EVER GIVE UP!! If you have a passion for wanting to do something, DON’T EVER LET ANYONE TELL YOU CANT!! DON’T DO SOMETHING BECAUSE YOU WILL MAKE A LOT OF MONEY! DO IT BECAUSE YOU LOVE IT!! YOU WILL BE A MUCH HAPPIER PERSON!  FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS!!