We’ve Been Trapped at Home for a Month and a Half

Can I please go somewhere now?

April 22, 2020

So here we are, a month and a half into quarantine, social distancing, coronacation, whatever you want to call it. When we left school on March 12th, no one was very concerned with the situation. At the worst, we would leave school for two weeks and then return and things would go back to normal. At first the break didn’t sound so bad, but now we’re all bored out of our minds and wondering when we will be able to go somewhere again. I would love to go out to eat, or go on a trip, or anywhere at this point. I miss going to dance, virtual classes aren’t the same. My last dance recital, and senior solo routine are in danger of being cancelled. Now even events in the summer are in danger of being cancelled: concerts, fairs, festivals, vacations. And for seniors, even our first year of college might be affected. There is talk of continuing online schooling the whole way through next year. I would really love to leave my house some time in the next year, please. 

But it hasn’t been all bad. Myself, as well as most people I know are picking up old hobbies and learning new ones, things they haven’t done in years. People are spending time with family, and realizing how much they miss the people they love. 

Read the following to hear some of my thoughts about this unprecedented situation and to see what I’ve been up to for the last month and a half.

What frustrates you the most recently? Vent it out in your writing. If nothing angers you, what are you most passionate about?

This whole situation frustrates me. As much as it was nice at first to have a break from school, I would be more than ready to go back now. For all the seniors, we will be missing our senior banquet, prom, and most likely graduation. Let alone the last few months with some of our friends and teachers. But, being off has given me more than enough time to think and so I’ve made peace with it all by now. There’s nothing I can change about it now, I have just gotten into the best routine I possibly could in this situation and dealt with it. If we would have quarantined from the start and been proactive I think we could have prevented this but we didn’t so here we are and here we will be for the next month at least. At least 2020 will be an unforgettable year. 

List the one thing each day that stood out.

I’ve really enjoyed getting to spend a lot of time with my family and my boyfriend’s family. We have been on a few hikes, both alone and with my favorite dogs, gone fishing a few times – we ate one of the fish I caught(bluegill)- as well as many game nights. I’ve spent a lot of time with my boyfriend and his family. We have played a lot of Uno, card games, and Nerf battles. 

What is the one thing I will miss the most from school?

I miss my favorite teachers, Ms. T, Frau Karns, and Mr. Pflugh. They have been a big part of some of my favorite times throughout high school. I’m sad to be missing out on some of my last days with them. I also miss seeing my friends every day. With everything closed and the whole world coming to a halt it makes it hard. 

What are you wearing everyday and why? 

I have had 2 outfit options – a sweatshirt/t-shirt and shorts/leggings/sweatpants depending on the weather for sitting at home or outside or on walks, or jeans, boots, and a t-shirt/sweatshirt for hiking and fishing.