Happy Happenings

June 2, 2020

After+two+years+without+a+doggo%2C+Ms.+Thompson+adopted+a+rescue+and+named+her+Pearl+after+her+great+grandma.+

After two years without a doggo, Ms. Thompson adopted a rescue and named her Pearl after her great grandma.

2020 seems like it can’t get any worse, but every time we say that… it gets worse. Everyone feels like there’s been nothing good about  this year, but that’s not necessarily the case. It’s difficult to look on the bright side of things in a world that seems so dark. However, there have been a few good things to come out of covid-19.

Australian bush fires

Before the coronavirus, this was the only thing people were talking about. The world’s attention was on the wildfires in Australia. As of early March, the fires were contained for the first time in months. All fires in New South Wales, the state that was hit the hardest, was put out by March 4, making it the first time the state was not burning since July. The forests are recovering, and new plant life has appeared. Biologists at a makeshift rescue facility at the Australian National University are taking care of koalas rescued from the fires.

Earth’s health

Since covid-19 started, the amount of pollution in the air is significantly lower in several parts of the world because of industrial businesses closing, cancelled flights, and less people on the road. This time is also giving the oceans time to breathe and recover from pollution, overfishing, and the impact of climate change.

Second person cured of HIV

A couple of weeks ago in London, U.K., a resident by the name of Adam Castillejo was the second person in the world to be cured of HIV because of a stem cell treatment. This high-risk treatment cannot be offered widely to patients, but Castillejo’s cure is giving people hope that a cure using gene therapy is in the near future.

Boost in foster applications

Many people are taking a new foster pet home. In the past month, animal rescue organizations are reporting that there’s been a large increase in the number of new or interested foster parents over the past month. Now is the perfect time to welcome a new furry friend into your family. A lot of parents are working from home, and with students doing online school, it is a great time for families to bond over a new pet and get it comfortable in its new house.

Medical dramas donating to hospitals 

With so many people being in the hospital because of the coronavirus, hospitals are having a shortage of protective gear needed for seeing patients, including face masks, gloves, and eye protection. Producers of American medical dramas are helping by donating hospital supplies used as props for their TV shows. Some of the shows that donated are “Grey’s Anatomy,” “Station 19,” and “The Good Doctor.” These shows had a surplus of supplies consisting of N95 masks, gowns, and gloves that have now been given to first responders in need.

Disneyland donating to a food bank

Disneyland has closed because of the coronavirus safety concerns, but its excess snacks will be donated to Second Harvest Food Bank of Orange County. The food bank is very grateful for Disneyland’s donations, and is excited to be helping out the community during this crisis.