That’s All Jake Bros

Jake Santora, Video Editor

Every single year I have cried on the last day of school. Every single one. I even cried at the end of each mediocre year in middle school. While most of my peers were excited to leave for the summer, the memories I made each year would culminate on the last day and I would be reminded once more why I loved going to Knoch. Now, I am facing the very last day and my greatest fear of all time, moving on.

It has been incredibly hard to put into perspective that this is really it. I am faced with the “lasts” of my experience here at Knoch, and it is honestly terrifying. I started to count my “lasts” of high school the year prior, starting with picture day. At that time, I still felt forever away from the actual end of high school. From then on, I have experienced my last school dance, high school tennis match, dodgeball tournament, and much more. Although my aspirations for my future are incredibly high, I have always been fearful of leaving the bubble that is Butler County. But for the first time in my life, I have to come to terms with the fact that it isn’t up to me anymore, and I can’t avoid change any longer. 

Change is inevitable, but I’ve learned more this year than ever before that just because I am moving on, doesn’t mean the memories I made here become mere aspects of my life. I hold such value to my time at Knoch and although I’m nervous to let this chapter enter my past, I can stand firm in knowing that the time I spent here was nothing short of fascinating.

How do you sum up twelve years of your life? As I write this, I am growing to learn that there is no way to do it perfectly. However, I’ve found it quite easy to highlight the best things I’ve taken away from this adventure.

I became the best version of myself when I took charge. It didn’t matter if it was Class Cabinet, Spanish Club, or tennis, there was nothing that made me happier then just being involved. If there is any advice I can give to the underclassmen, it is just to put yourself out there. Don’t be afraid to join whatever suits your interests. In middle school, I joined every club I could as an outlet for the rough time I had during those years. That participation carried into high school, and I couldn’t be more thankful for that decision to get involved.

There is no doubt I experienced a period of self growth as well. For a long time, specifically around middle school, I was not a happy person. I was upset with the way I looked, and I was constantly picked on for my “out there” personality. I spent so much time trying to become someone I wasn’t so I could fit the expectations of others. Eventually I learned that there is no sense in trying to be someone I wasn’t because no matter what you do, you will never be perfect. It only hurts you in the long run to hid who you truly are, so I applaud anyone who is willing to take that risk.

As I look back, I am surprised to remember that my best times here were spent with other people. Although the present day me would like to say that he himself was responsible for everyone’s enjoyment including his own, he is wrong. I wouldn’t know what “Jake” I would’ve been like if I didn’t let people into my life. But, because I did let those people into my life, I am a much better person for it.

Teachers. Personally I think they are the best people I can highlight first. I credit my teachers with molding me into the human I am today. While I am grateful for the tools you gave me to succeed, and your dedication to getting your curriculum across, I am most thankful for your commitment to growing a relationship with me. You are the people most engaged in anything I had to say. You are the people I could rely on the most. You are the people I felt comfortable turning too in a time of need. You are the people that made me interested in learning. You are the people who didn’t know how far your words of advice went. Which is why you are the people I am going to have the hardest time leaving. I truly can’t thank you enough, and there aren’t enough words to describe how much I appreciate you.

Classmates. While I could recognize my close friends, it would be a blatant lie to say they were the only ones responsible for making this experience worthwhile. As a class, we have officially reached our end, and although we are going our separate ways, we have met the common goal that was getting through these years together. We won parrot pride in the primary together. We played in the bounce houses on the field days at the end of each elementary year together. We took the D.A.R.E. course together. We skied down black diamonds in KDA together. We filmed the Knoch News together. And now, we’re graduating together, and I couldn’t be more thankful for the times I’ve spent with all of you. 

I hate repeating cliched phrases, but time really does fly when you’re having fun. It hasn’t even settled in yet that this is really the end. I think I’ll remember the little things the most. Whether it was a pancake party in Miss T’s class, or eating Knoch floor dressed as Patrick Star, I know will cherish the simple memories above all else. To end, I saw it best that I talk once more about myself, which for those who know me best, isn’t really out of character. 

To my younger self, it never mattered what anyone else thought of you. You are the happiest when you are yourself. The time you’ve spent here was a stepping stone for what’s to come, and although you’re very sad to leave, be happy for what this experience has taught you. The day no longer starts at 7:30 AM, so be happy and start making the most out of your exciting life. Thank you Knoch, for everything.