HIDE
HIDE

Run, Hide, Fight

New safety policy you should be aware of

November 7, 2017

Sandy Hook.  Columbine.  Virginia Tech.

If you didn’t already know, there were deadly massacres at all of them.  The rate of mass shootings, especially in schools, has been increasing every year.  It is extremely important that students are educated on how to react if an active shooter enters the building.  If we don’t know what to do, we will find ourselves in an extremely fatal situation.

Years ago, we were all taught when an intruder enters our building we hide in our classrooms and wait like sitting ducks for safety.  But many students are unaware that the active shooter protocol has changed drastically within the last year.

“Theoretically, when an intruder enters the school, the principal comes over the loudspeaker and announces ‘Code Red’,” said sophomore Caroline Tanner.  “The students gather together in a corner that is away from what can be seen from the door. The teacher then shuts off the lights, locks the doors, and starts to pile furniture in front of the door, so the intruder is unable to get in.”

Most students were taught that this was the way to react to an emergency like this.  I have a vivid memory of a lockdown drill back in 6th grade–I hid underneath my English teacher’s desk watching a spider creep toward me as my classmates shushed and shuffled around for 20 minutes.  But this “lockdown” procedure has not worked in the past, so it was time for something new.

“Look at Columbine–the longer they waited, the more people died.” said Mr. Trofimuk.

The new procedure is called “ALICE”–Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, Evacuate.  According to the ALICE website, this new training “…dispels myths about passive, traditional ‘lockdown only’ procedures that create readily identifiable targets and makes a shooter’s mission easier.”  It’s not sufficient to simply hide in a corner and hope police get there to solve the problem.  Unfortunately, that is what the majority of students believe because no one has told them otherwise.

“I have heard there is a new policy about hiding that I’m not clear on. I believe that it would be best to stay out of eyesight but remain standing with objects armed to defend yourself,” said sophomore Shaney Enck.

The problem is the lack of communication between teachers, staff, and students about the change of protocol.

“There is probably very little knowledge within the student body,” said Officer Patrick Sarnice, head of security.  “They should look to their teachers, whom have been trained in crisis responses, for direction during a crisis situation. The School District Administrators are currently investigating the pros and cons, and logistics of educating the student body on this type of incident.”

“It’s something we have to do better–communicating,” said Mr. Trofimuk.

A lot of people have been questioning why we haven’t had a lockdown drill in a while.  Mr Trofimuk says it’s because we, unlike most schools in the area, have armed security guards in the building at all times.

“It would be difficult to have a “fake” shooter come in while the kids practice running out of the building,” said Mr. Trofimuk.  “It’s simple: run, hide, fight–if you can get out, get out.  If you can’t, throw whatever you need to to distract that person.”

The school security guards, like Officer Sarnice, are all retired Pennsylvania State Police Troopers, and their jobs during an active school shooting are to eliminate the threat and reduce the number of deaths and casualties.

“During our employment with the State, we have all been extensively trained in Law Enforcement’s response to an active shooter situation,” said Officer Patrick Sarnice.

Many people don’t know that if a student is out in the hallway or bathroom when the warning is issued on the loudspeaker, he or she may not be able to come back to their class.  Teachers are trained not to let them in because it is a huge risk–what if the intruder is using that student as hostage?  They then instantly get access to a whole classroom of students as soon as that door is opened.  It all comes down to ethics, instincts, and reaction–regardless of training.

“In the world we live in now, it’s important when you are out in a movie theatre, or anywhere in public, to think, ‘what’s my escape route,’” said Mr. Trofimuk.  “Just in case.”

No one ever thinks that it will happen to them.  As someone whose family member survived the Vegas shooting in October, I have become more aware about the active shooting protocol and realized that the majority of us don’t think it will ever happen to us.

“Generally I look at school shootings and, though it may be extremely naive, question if it will ever actually happen to me,” said Tanner.  “Recurrently I turn on the news and see ‘school shooting’ headlines, and although I truly do feel for the victims and everyone else affected, I tend to shrug it off as a fluke.”

So please, spread the word about ALICE, and ask your teachers about any questions you have.

“School shootings, or any form of violent event for that matter is an awful experience for any person to endure,” said Enck.  “One of my friends was stabbed at Franklin Regional a few years ago. I will never forget how the families struggled.”