Emma’s Declassified Valentine’s Day Survival Guide

February 13, 2018

DISCLAIMER!!!!!!: I promise I really was single while I wrote this, I honestly don’t know what happened.

Brace yourself single people, Valentine’s Day is almost upon us. Soon we will have no choice but to watch mushy TV commercials about jewelry sales, walk past the obnoxiously bright colored isles of chocolate and plush toys in Walmart, see lovey-dovey couples in the hallways, and be constantly reminded of our current relationship status. This love season SUCKS. But lucky for you all, I, as a member of the singles community, have gathered some tips, tricks and fun activities to do if you’re not into this gross pink- filled holiday time, so stick around and maybe we can make this season go by just a little bit smoother and faster.

1) Alright, everyone’s seen the infamous “Netflix and Chill” memes, but who says you can’t just Netfix and chill with a pizza and some ice cream? Order delivery one night with no regrets of breaking any kind of diet you might be on and completely indulge yourself. If you’ve got the whole evening to yourself, catch up on that one favorite show you’re a couple episodes behind on or maybe even start a new addictive show. The newspaper staff has even come up with their own recommended watch list: Grey’s Anatomy, Friends, American Vandal, the Office, the Bachelor or Riverdale.

2) Lush is the ultimate heaven for anyone who loves to pamper and treat themselves from time to time. Go out and pick yourself up a fresh mask and a couple sparkly, yummy smelling bath bombs and set the mood for a nice relaxing night in your tub with some good jams.

3) Invite some friends over and have a sleepover like we used to while in middle school and immerse yourself in enough chick flicks that could make anyone forget what’s happening in the outside world.

4) Remember that recipe or DIY you saw that one time and you swore you were going to make it and then somehow forgot all about it? Yeah, we’ve all been there, but now is a great time to resurrect those ideas and finally start them up. Head to Michael’s or Walmart and pick up whatever you need to start.

5) Some people might be hesitant to jump into this one, but sometimes starting a new book is exactly what can fix these seasonal blues. It doesn’t even have to be a novel, a simple short story that you find on Google about a topic you’re really into will suffice.

6) And finally, saving the best for last, invite some of your fellow single friends over for an “I Hate V-Day” party complete with a sickeningly sweet cake and cringey stories to share about your latest and greatest love life mishaps.

So back to the real point; who says Valentine’s Day is all about the couples? How your day is spent shouldn’t matter who is coming in and out of your life (*cough, cough* dumb exes *cough, cough*) or what kind of “holiday” it is. Stick to what you do best and live the best single life you possibly could. I did just this for almost a year and look where it got me! I’m happier than ever with a great boyfriend and why couldn’t that be one of you fine people soon? Keep your spirits high and don’t forget to put yourself first sometimes.