Freshmen Fears

Seniors advice to the class of 2020

February 8, 2017

“You’re with the same group of people for four years, so really it’s just a giant family.” -Senior Shane Napierkowski

Freshmen year can be scary. You feel like you don’t know anyone and you don’t know where you fit in. Freshmen year can be stressful. There are new people everywhere and you’re in a new place. Freshmen year can also be fun though. You meet new friends, and you can find out what you’re interested in.

The start of high school is different for everyone. Some people are scared, some are excited, and some just don’t want to do it.

So, what are the freshmen scared of?

“I am nervous about the seniors trampling over me,” said freshmen Kendall Mullen.

“Nothing,” said freshmen Kameron Grassi. “I got this.”

The class of 2020 might be nervous about the start of high school, but they aren’t the only ones who were.

Senior Claire Rodgers said, “I was afraid of not knowing where my classes were and not having any of my friends in my class.”

“I was most afraid of being on time to my classes,” senior Shane Napierkowski said. “The stereotype of high school from shows made it seem like being late was an automatic detention.”

Although a lot students are scared going into their freshmen year, many people were surprised by how it turned out.

“I was probably most surprised that the upperclassmen were nice and accepting,” said senior Megan Vettori. “High school is just like middle school but with a little more freedom.”

Napierkowski said, “I think the thing that surprised me most is how you really get to know everyone.”

Even through all these fears, people are still excited to start their freshman year. But what are the best parts about a new school?

“I am looking forward to more freedom,” said Mullen. “I like that the dress code is not as strict, and we are allowed to have our phones out.”

For all of the freshmen that are starting out high school, the seniors were once in your position. They were nervous, but they learned that there is nothing to be scared about. They would like to give advice to the class of 2020.

Rodgers said, “Budget your time wisely. Challenge yourself and always try to make new friends.”

“Don’t worry if you make mistakes, we’re all human. Learn from your mistakes and improve. That’s what colleges look for. They seek out your improvement,” Napierkowski said. “If you have a horrible year in one subject, it’s not the end of the world, it may seem like it, but as long as you try your hardest and improve yourself then you have nothing to worry about. Keep up to date on your homework and learn to love Edline.”