Dara’s Dine-Ins and Long Drives

Exploring the Ramen World in Detroit
Picture from Shiromaru Website
Picture from Shiromaru Website

Hi guys! I recently went on a little adventure all the way to Detroit, Michigan for an ice hockey tournament and had some fan-freaking-tastic food! The first day we were there my family and I found a lovely little Japanese restaurant directly across the street from our hotel. Over our weekend we ended up dining there 3 times because we just couldn’t get enough! A little birdy (yelp) told us the ramen was where it was at, and oh boy that birdy was right! 

My dad, My mom, and I all got Classic Tonkotsu Ramen (right) EVERY SINGLE TIME we were there. Its description on the menu is as follows: Rich and creamy pork bone broth with fresh house made ramen noodles, pork belly chashu, half marinated egg, green onion, bamboo, kikurage (wood ear mushroom). These giant bowls of ramen could feed 3 small children and were therefore perfect for me after games. I cannot express how insanely delicious this ramen was. It had a creamy, savory broth that was a perfect broth for the amazing other components of the dish. The pork  was so tender you could barely pick it up with your chopsticks and so perfectly seasoned. This was my first time trying bamboo and I was not disappointed. Everything in this dish melted together so incredibly well I truly can not say enough good things about it. 12/10

While we were there we also picked from Shiromaru’s extensive sushi menu. I chose the Mango twist roll (below, left) which consisted of spicy crab, shrimp tempura, cucumber topped with mango, trio sauce and crunch. Wow… delicious once again. The spice from the spicy crab and the sweet from the mango were a wonderful little mix. I was absolutely stuffed from the ramen I had devoured earlier so, to my disappointment, I was not able to finish the roll. 9/10 #delic

Later, on one of our other 2 trips, we got the Black Dragon roll (sadly not pictured), which had tempura shrimp, spicy tuna, topped with eel, avocado, eel sauce, and the Triple Spicy Salmon roll which had salmon, cucumber, topped with spicy mayo, masago, jalapeno and sriracha. Both rolls we got were devoured while I sat on the floor of my hotel room. These rolls were SO crazy good. If you know me you know I am a food connoisseur and sushi is one of my absolute favorites. If I could’ve I would’ve tried one of absolutely everything on this menu and probably enjoyed every last piece. I chose the Black Dragon roll because of the eel included in it. Call me crazy but I love some good eel, but the restaurant has to do it right, and this place most certainly did. 9/10 

I also HAD to try the pork belly bun (below, right) since the pork belly was so amazingly good in the ramen. While its fluffy dough bun and absurdly tender pork belly was so good it simply didn’t compare to the flavorfulness of the pork belly ramen. If you are getting something with pork belly in it here… it HAS to be the pork belly ramen. But this bun was still yummy! 6/10

If you’re ever in the Detroit area check out Shiromaru (5365 Crooks Rd Troy, MI).