More to Come

Freshmen find activities eased their transitions from middle school to high school.
More to Come

Do you think becoming a freshman is just like the movies? Upperclassmen bullies, awkward interactions, etc? According to four freshmen, their first year of highschool has been way better than the movies, though, there can still be some awkwardness. Being in activities has helped them to make new friends and memories as well.

Freshman softball player Kaila Purcell said, “I think freshman year has gone very well. It has gone very very fast, but overall has been an amazing year.”

Purcell is an amazing softball player, and has had a great time so far.

“Softball is going pretty well. There have been some tough situations, but otherwise everything is good. The most memorable thing was Myrtle Beach. It was such a great experience and so much fun.”

With seniors soon saying goodbye to the softball team, Purcell gives them this message: “Thank you for the support. I will miss you all!”

Freshman Youth and Government member Luke Posey does not believe that freshman year has been like the movies.

“I don’t think it’s nearly as awkward. I think that perception comes from upperclassmen hating on freshmen, but as long as you are chill and respectful to them, they will be chill and respectful back,” Posey said.

Posey has had a great experience being in YAG this year.

“I think my most memorable experience was when they announced Phoebe and I made it to the semi-finals, and my Apple Watch gave me a super high heart rate notification. And, I almost passed out on the way to the courtroom we were going to be in.”

This school year, Posey particularly enjoyed Knoch’s entertaining football games.

“I think the most memorable experience this year was all of the football games in the student section when TG (Tyler Galvin) would get super hyped up, and him hyping everyone else up,” Posey said. “I remember him and Kam Burtner had a dance battle during halftime of one of the games. TG obviously won.”

Freshman JV Volleyball player Alyssa Patterson said, “I think freshman year is going great so far! There was definitely a big change from 8th grade volleyball to playing on JV. But this was definitely a change for the better.”

Playing volleyball has been a dream of Patterson’s for a long time.

“Volleyball this year was an amazing experience for me. I met so many new people and got closer to the ones I already knew. I have always wanted to play volleyball, ever since I was little, so actually playing sometimes feels unreal,” said Patterson. “I do play club volleyball for Renaissance Armstrong. It is such a different experience since it is a much smaller team, and you only have practice twice a week. But, it is so fun to hang out in hotels with your team and play at big tournaments.”

Patterson’s experience in volleyball can be seen in other areas of her life as well.

Patterson said, “I think freshman year set me up well for the years to come. It will definitely get a lot more challenging, but I know I can do it.”

Patterson shares her gratitude for her teammates, family members, and coaches.

“I have had so many people help me get to where I am and I’m extremely grateful, and hopefully there is still more to come,” said Patterson.

Freshman JV Boys Lacrosse player Liam Smith said, “It has been much more welcoming and calm.”

With the help of lacrosse, Smith was able to ease into freshman year.

“Lacrosse this year has been fun, our JV team has a bright future, so I’m very excited for that,” said Smith. “My favorite memory this season was probably our game against Hampton, because I had an amazing game.”

Smith also shared that his favorite part of his first year of high school was meeting all of his new friends.

If you’re an eighth grader searching for good advice on your upcoming freshman year, take it from these freshmen.

Kaila Purcell said, “Be smart, don’t do stupid things,” which is good advice. But, of course, you still have to have fun.

“To all the incoming freshmen, take your grades seriously, but not so serious that you don’t have fun and make memories,” said Luke Posey.