Corona House Arrest

Paige Duke, staff writer

I wanted to go cyber for as long as I can remember. Now thanks to corona I, and everyone else of course, have all tried it for a while and most of us aren’t the biggest fans. Since we are trapped at our houses, we have to keep ourselves busy so I, and others, asked some students questions and answered some of our thoughts about this quarantine and how we are staying sane. 

And a little note to everyone- Please stay home. We all want a summer where we can actually leave our house.

1. What are you observing other people doing?

I’ve noticed that almost everyone is going crazy, like me. Private stories by everyone are filled with people repainting rooms, teaching themselves how to play piano, stealing toilet paper, video calling their teachers just to chat, dying hair, or anything else you could think of just to keep them busy. Today is only day 11, I think, of the quarantine and today was the only time I left my house. I saw people at Dollar General in masks coughing and booked it. I haven’t been able to see anyone so i really don’t know what they’re doing other than what I see on social media but it looks like they’re not handling it as well as some other people. 

• What are you learning about what’s happening around the globe? 

I am learning how different people can be without leaving their houses. My father claims this whole corona thing is completely fake and that the government stages all the deaths but, I think the rest of us are starting to realize that this is more serious than most people claim it to be.

• What is one thing i miss from school

I won’t miss much from school but I’ll miss lunch to start out with. I rarely talk to the people that I sit with at lunch and for us not to go back to school makes me sad that I won’t sit with them again. and I miss not seeing them everyday. Also I miss my teachers. I usually come to school miserable and my teachers make it alot better to get through the day. 

• What are you wearing everyday and why?

I have been just wearing a sweatshirt and sweatpants because I have nowhere to go, and if I do go somewhere it would just be down my road to go on a walk. But on a special occasion like that I’ll change into a different sweatshirt.

What is something you missed while away from school

Student Name: Caden Traggiai

Grade: 10

“I miss the people and the environment, while school puts some stress on me, it keeps me sane. I feel the whole virus thing is putting more stress on us. I have been keeping busy though”

Student Name: Sarah Massa

Grade: 12

“My teachers mainly. Like Frau Cramer, Miss bronder, and Mr Ammendola.”

Student Name:  Blair Bowen

Grade: 11

I have a list. I miss getting school early and spending time with my pal brooke lassinger, i miss mr. zebrine and mrs. lampus, i miss spring play practice, i miss lunch with my pals jadeyn and cole, i miss my sociology class, and i miss getting up and doing makeup.”

How have you been spending your days?  

Student Name: Cale Patten

Grade: 10

“Lots of time on my phone, also doing as much schoolwork as i can.”

Student Name: Abby McAuley

Grade: 11

“Well my teachers have been assigning a bunch so i’ve been doing that and when i’m not doing that i’m either sleeping, playing video games, or playing the ukulele/singing.”

Student Name: Sophie Brandon

Grade: 10

“I’ve been spending my days mostly at home just trying to get schoolwork done and occasionally taking walks to get out of the house. The only time we aren’t quarinting here is if we need groceries or something at the store.”

How much work have you done on your “at home” lessons? 

Student Name: Chloe McAnallen

Grade: 12

I’ve done what has been assigned I guess. I work on school stuff for about 3-4 hours a day sometimes more.”

Student Name: Cale Patten

Grade: 10

“I do most of my work on time, sometimes it’s a little late because I put it off during the day. Some of the classes are similar to in school but some are drastically different which is tough to adjust to.”

Student Name: Liv Dickman

Grade: 11

“I’ve just been kind of keeping up with it everyday. The hardest part would be staying on task because I’m always constantly wanting to do anything besides schoolwork.”

Question: what has this virus changed for you? 

Student Name: Sarah Massa

Grade: 12

“I had the senior banquet cancelled for me which really sucks and i’m also fearful of my last spring play and prom and graduation being cancelled.”

Student Name: Caden Traggiai

Grade: 10

“Well my high school swim states and YMCA swim team states were both cancelled and it just sucks after swimming for 6 months for it to turn into this.” 

Student Name: Chloe McAnallen

Grade: 12

“The virus has changed a lot of things…. School, after school activities, I don’t work anymore and it absolutely sucks. And yes things have been cancelled. Last night I found out the mancini awards were cancelled and i’m super sad about it because its my senior year and I was looking forward to performing one last time with my best friends.”