Attention Underclassmen

Scheduling for the 2021-22 school year

Attention+Underclassmen

Samantha Moody, Staff Writer

If you think about it, there’s roughly three months until May 28th, which is the last day of school. With that in mind, the school year is coming to an end, but what does that mean? It’s time to start scheduling for the 2022 school year.

“Scheduling is important because it allows students to have a say not only in their education, but in the challenges they want to engage in as well,

— Mrs. Gleim

But so what? Scheduling is something each student is “forced” to do to pick classes. But honestly, it is more important that you would think.

“Picking classes that interest students and help them meet their goals is crucial to helping them get prepared for life after high school,” said Mrs. Gleim.

Rather than picking classes you think will be an easy pass or something you’ll just breeze through, you should take into consideration why you are taking a certain class.

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to say it’s not okay to take something because it sounds fun. Sometimes students will take easier classes to have a “break in the day.” But even with taking easy classes, you should still push yourself to reach higher expectations.

Take the AP and academic level classes for example. To some, AP sounds like the type of class that would assign homework like there is no tomorrow. Or make you take tests every aching hour of the day, or write essays until your fingers would fall off.

I can tell you right now, AP classes are not as bad as everyone makes them sound. Yes, sometimes they can be a bit much, but honestly, they have their perks.

“My favorite class hands down was AP chem with Mr. Gavel. Even if you were failing the class, everyone loved it, and we had so much fun,” said senior Kate McCarty.

See, even if students were struggling, they would still be having fun.

“It was a GPA boost, and I enjoyed the classes,” McCarty said. “Because the AP’s brought my GPA up, I got a lot of money off college, so I’ll be able to go to school for a small fraction of what it should cost.”

Every year you hear the same thing along the lines of, “you need to take classes that will benefit you in the future,” and “you need to start planning for your future.” Many students may not have a single clue what they want to do in the future, but taking a variety of classes may help.

“I try to talk to all of my students individually to talk about classes that are relevant to them,” said Mrs. Gleim.

I can say for myself, I am constantly thinking about what I’m going to do in the future. Sometimes I act like it doesn’t bother me, but as my junior year comes closer to an end, it starts to freak me out. But personally, I have taken quite a few classes through my high school career that possibly have helped me try to figure out my plans for the future.

Knoch offers a wide variety of classes to take throughout high school. Not only are there many different core classes offered (AP, academic, honors/gifted, and general), there are also many electives offered in each subject. Here is a link where you can find all the classes and courses the school has to offer.

Honestly, my favorite classes I have taken through my glorious years here at Knoch would have to be: Anatomy and Physiology, Print Media II, Spanish, and Sports Literature and Writing.

If you didn’t know, Sports Literature and Writing is one of the newer electives the school has to offer. I took it during my sophomore year, which was the first year for the course.

“We talk sports. We focus on the sports that are in season, mostly professional and Knoch sports. We read classic examples of sports-writing, profiles of famous athletes, and stories about the issues of the day,” said Mr. Miller, who teaches the class.

When I signed up to take Sports Literature, I had no idea what I was going into. It was completely out of my comfort zone, considering I had little knowledge about sports but was still interested in them. This class changed my whole perspective on sports, professional and school. Taking this class gave me an opportunity to learn about things that interested me and many other students. I got to write game stories, listen to the football players talk about their Friday night games, and hear everyone’s opinions on different topics.

As you start to think about what classes you want to take for your upcoming school year, keep in mind the different classes the school offers. When picking courses to take, think about what interests you, and don’t be afraid to try something new. The school has a lot more to offer than you’d think. In one way or another, these classes may help direct you into a path that leads to your future.

If you have any other questions about scheduling or making plans for your future, don’t be afraid to stop by and chat with Mr. Hess (Grades 10-12, Last Names A-K), Mrs. Gleim (Grades 10-12, Last Names M-Z) or Mrs. Panzer (Grades 8-9). Our guidance counselors are always up to answer questions, so stop by their offices or send them an email.