Beauty is Pain

Why Wearing a Coat in School are Embarrassing?

Grace Bogacz, Staff Writer

We all know that awful feeling of walking into school freezing because you don’t want to be the only one wearing a coat to school. It doesn’t stop there though. Umbrellas, gloves, hats, and more make students cringe. Many students agree: under no circumstances would they ever wear a hat or gloves.

Junior Carly Fraser said she does find it embarrassing to wear a coat but her parents usually make her wear a coat anyway.

Many parents also make their children wear coats to school. One of the main reasons it can be embarrassing is because you’re only outside for a couple minutes, so when you make it inside to the (sometimes) heated school, it’s difficult to make your way through the metal detectors with a puffy coat, umbrella, or gloves. Our parents simply don’t understand the embarrassment of coming in with a puffy coat, then trying to make it fit into your tiny locker that barely fits your books.

Junior Amber Ludolff said, “Yes, it’s very embarrassing, everyone looks at you.”

Junior Greta Dadowski agrees, saying, “It’s embarrassing because no one else wears one.”

Under what circumstances would the students here wear a coat or a hat?

Most students here would not wear a coat unless it was freezing, but everyone agrees they will never be seen with a hat or gloves in school. EVER.

Dadowski said, “I’ll wear a coat when it’s super windy, rainy or below 30 degrees, but never a hat.”

Fraser added, “My parents make me wear a coat, but under no circumstances will you see me wearing a hat to school.”

This also relates to walking into school with an umbrella. It’s super embarrassing just thinking about it. Where would you put your wet umbrella as you go through the metal detectors? I think most students would just walk a little faster instead of using an umbrella.

All students agree that it’s just embarrassing in school, but they would not feel embarrassed wearing one out of school.

Ludolff said, “Out of school is still embarrassing but not as bad.”

“It’s embarrassing just in school, I will wear it anywhere else and not be embarrassed,” said Fraser.

Even though wearing a coat in the winter time seems so normal, it can be embarrassing regardless. Some students get the fear of standing out if they are the only one wearing one. It may also lead students to believe that everyone will be talking about them.

Even though that’s probably the last thing on someone’s mind it still makes students over think their decisions.

“At the end of the day, you have to put the coat back on again,” said Fraser. “It is simply embarrassing.”

DO BOYS FEEL EMBARRASSED TO WEAR OUTERWEAR?

Freshman Zach Sailor: I wear a coat to school and I do not find it embarrassing.

Sophomore Logan Cypher:   I do not wear a coat, and I guess it’s embarrassing.

Junior Jake McCurdy:  No. I sort of like coats. I wouldn’t wear one of those huge puffy coats, but a normal coat is okay.

Senior Jack Walker: If it’s cold enough I would definitely wear a jacket.