The Vo-Tech Olympics

SkillsUSA

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Modern podium or pedestal display with platform concept on white background. Blank shelf stand for showing product. 3D rendering.

Jorden Mackie, Photo Editor

It’s that time of the year where the weird Vo-Tech kids shine with SkillsUSA. You’re probably wondering: Hey! What the heck is SkillsUSA? Personally, I have no idea, but Google does. On SkillsUSA.org it states SkillsUSA is a partnership of students, teachers and industry working together to ensure America has a skilled workforce. They help each student excel. A nonprofit national education association, SkillsUSA serves middle-school, high-school and college/postsecondary students preparing for careers in trade, technical and skilled service occupations. Students can win up to 2,500$ in scholarships.  Now let’s get into some of the students that won awards!

Sydney Gilliland – Graphic Design

Junior

How long have you been doing Vo-Tech?

I’ve been going for two years.

Were you forced to compete or did you really want to compete?

I volunteered because I thought it would be a fun experience, because I had been too nervous to do a competition in the past. Now because of the decision, my teacher is signing me up for every possible competition, haha. But it’s fun; stressful, but fun!

How long have you spent working on this project?

I spent two months on the pin; I think it all just kinda blurred together and I blocked out most of it. The current competition I’m doing, which is a group project, has taken a month so far. 

Are you happy with the placement you got or do you think you deserved a better placement?

I’m fine with it. This is my first year doing SkillsUSA and I wasn’t really expecting to get 1st. I’m honestly really proud that I got second. I still have another competition this year that takes me to states and next year to get 1st. 

Are you thinking about competing again?

I mean at this point I don’t have a choice, haha. Since I first showed enthusiasm to my teacher, Mrs. Clutter keeps offering competition opportunities. Not only do I think they’re fun and challenging, plus the scholarship prize money can help pay for the school I choose after high school.

What was most fun about the competition or your favorite memory? 

I wasn’t able to have too much fun due to nerves, but I did meet a student from my class in a different session who was doing the advertising competition, and talking with her was really fun!

Nathaniel Becker – Welding

Senior

How long have you been doing Vo-Tech?

Three years

Nope, I wanted many opportunities to learn.

My first project was a oxyfuel welding cart and it took two weeks. 

I got first. so I’m pretty happy with my placement.

Are you thinking about competing again?

Definitely

The satisfaction of being first and lots of donuts.

-Words of wisdom- 

Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone, it will be well worth it!  

Lily Anderson – Cosmetology

Senior

How long have you been doing Vo-Tech

Three years

Were you forced to compete 

or did you really want to compete?

I wanted to compete because I missed my opportunity last year due to Covid.

How long have you spent working on this project 

I spent about two weeks.

I got second, but I hoped to get gold. The first place winner decided not to attend States in April, so now I get to go in her place.

Are you thinking about competing again?

Yes, April 5th-7th I will go to Hershey for States. 

After all eight competitors finished, we ate lunch together and bonded, shared stories and laughed a ton.

-Funny story- 

All BCAVTS prepared speech/cosmo competitors were told to go to New Castle school of trades to compete. So we got there and were getting checked in/eating breakfast when we were told we were actually supposed to be at Lawrence Technical School. So we had to take a four person van twice to get all eight of us to the other school. We all enjoyed two breakfasts. 

All-in-all Vo-tech kids are still weird but it’s nice to shine a light on them since they don’t get a lot of attention. Wish our contenders luck on the upcoming competitions.