What are You Going to be When You Grow Up?

Deciding College Majors

Senior Sophie Brandon and I will both be attending PSU for the same major!

From the day you hit high school, people are constantly asking what you are planning to do after you graduate. Now it may seem like a perfectly normal question to ask, but come to think of it, is it really?
As a freshman, at the prime age of 14 or 15, do you really have any idea what you want to do after high school? The answer is no. I’m 18 and still questioning what I want to do with my life. Does anyone really know what on earth they want to actually do?
“I will be majoring in International Relations at Duquesne,” said senior Julianna Crites.
After I graduate, I am planning on attending Penn State to major in Early Education with a minor in Special Needs. Now I will admit, it sounds fantastic being able to say what I have planned, considering I had absolutely no idea when it was time to start applying at schools.

“I am majoring in nursing,” said senior Brynnae Coe, who will be attending Pitt-Johnstown. “I loved anatomy and I strive to help people.”
But how do you figure out what major is best for you?
“I’ve always been interested in the sciences/healthcare,” said senior Christian Johnson, who will be majoring in Biology at Gannon University.

Where some people know exactly what they want to do, others have debated their majors. Around 80% of all college students switch their majors once they have been in school. Think about when the counselors would come to classes and help with future plans, have you followed what you thought you wanted to do?
“I jumped all over the place, but stuck to majors that involved helping others,” said Coe.
Where some have generally stayed around similar majors, some have even completely flipped.
“I wanted to be a nurse anesthetist,” said Crites.
When I was trying to decide on what I wanted to major in, I was all over the board. Not to mention I didn’t even know where I wanted to go to school. I bounced from Education, to Journalism and Sports Media, to Sports Medicine, and even Occupational Therapy. But when it finally came down to applying to my first school, I finally had an idea, that being teaching.
Where it may feel stressful trying to decide majors or even where to go to school, remember that it is okay to not know exactly what you want to do. College isn’t for everyone. There are always other options like the trades, military, or the workforce.
When the time finally comes, you will know what is best for you.