Half the Day, Twice the Slay

Half Day Benefits

Alyssa Gallagher, Sports Editor

As a senior, I’ve dragged myself through three years of full day high school.  The day is long, and sometimes it’s hard to keep up in all your classes, especially if you’re taking a few AP ones like I am.  If you’re like me, you’re probably tired of taking so many classes, and at this point, you’re getting ready to graduate.  My advice: going to school for a half day not only helps with the workload, but it also provides you with an opportunity to do other things, such as go to work or take college classes. 

This year, I decided to go to school for half a day and take a sociology class at BC3 for the other half.  This is helping me to get ahead in my college/career path without missing anything in high school.  It also prepares me for the transition between high school and college.  

Senior Jessica Burgard is doing the same.  

“I am making my work load smaller for the years to come,” she said.

With taking on a college class or two in high school, there comes more work.  I’ve noticed one of the biggest differences between high school and college is the amount of work you have to do outside of the classroom.  In my sociology class, we take notes in class, but are expected to read the book on our own time.  Additionally, we have to do different writing assignments and projects outside of class.  

You have to spend more time studying in college than in high school due to the fact that your class only meets 2-3 times a week.  It’s a big adjustment, but anyone who takes college classes in high school will tell you that it’s helping them prepare for college.

“Do early release!” said Burgard.  “Not only would you get some college classes out of the way, but you won’t be wasting time on electives when you already have all the requirements to graduate.” 

Another option for early release is work.  Students choose to do work release to earn money and prepare themselves for work in the future.  Senior Ryan Justi, who has been working at the Breakneck Tavern for a year and a half, recommends it.

“It’s very beneficial and gets you out of school quicker,” Justi said.  

Burgard, who works at Concordia on the days she doesn’t have class, said, “If you don’t want to take college classes, work release is a smart choice.  You can work and save money that can help pay for college.”

On the days students don’t have class or work, they can choose what to do with their time.  Some students study, others (like me) will take a nap, some play a sport, or they do something else that would benefit them.  

“I have hockey and physical therapy on the days I don’t work,” Justi said.

Personally, I love to come home from school and nap, but some days I choose to clean my room, do homework/ study, or take care of myself.  I’ve found that with more free time after school, I am able to do more things to prepare for the next day and take time to decompress from the school day.  This is something I’ve never been able to do, and I think I’m benefiting from it, both mentally and physically.  

Overall, early release is a very beneficial choice and can help you prepare for your future.  Students choose this not just to get out of school early (although that may be some people’s reasoning), but to get ahead in college or to earn money to save for their future.  I would definitely recommend it to help ease the transition from high school to whatever you’ll be doing after you graduate.