Step It Up When Stepping Out

Tips on how to make your winter wardrobe pop

Emma Velesig, Features Editor

We all know of the certain “basic” outfits girls and boys both wear during cold and frigid winter months.

For the girls, the big blanket scarf with a sweater and jeans and those rubber Sperry boots everyone wanted last year for Christmas; for the guys, when trying to act cool, wear shorts and a t-shirt ALL THE TIME not caring if there’s a blizzard outside or even a monsoon. But I was determined to ask some fellow members of our student body if they had any tips on how they kept their wardrobe more interesting during the freezing times.
Boys in general have almost always stuck to this same “code.” One person who specifically lives by this (no shade intended) is junior Simon Stawinski.

“I get my inspiration from myself because I am an innovator. Also Kanye West because he’s a genius,” said Stawinski.

On the other hand there is Madison Gumto, sophomore, homecoming representative, swimmer and lacrosse player, and known by all as a fashion icon. Her style is always high class with modern comfort and we could all learn a few tips from her and her fashion ways.

“Shoes will always be my favorite,” said Gumto. “You can change them around and make them into anything you want.”

But it’s not always a bad thing to dress down and get comfy every once in awhile. Standing out take a lot of energy and sometimes it pays off to just chill in some comfy clothes in math class instead of twisting and turning in your seat to try and fix that skirt you decided to wear.

“I’m all for being comfortable; every girl does it!” said Gumto. “When it’s cold outside, I honestly don’t care what my outfit looks like as long as I’m not freezing my butt off.”
Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Stawinski, however, doesn’t mind risking a little to look good on school days.

“Unfortunately, I AM one of those guys that wears shorts all year round,” said Stawinski, “but I got new Timberlands (boots) so I plan on wearing them a lot through the cold months.”

On the bright side, everyone has their own twist to common outfits. Swap out a plain shirt and jacket for a big, warm, oversized sweater that you can find in any store now that Christmas is close. You can even change out those old converse for a pair of short boots you can get at any shoe store.

But don’t let me dictate your wardrobe; listen the wise words said by Mr. Stawinski and keep them in mind: “My tip is to just go with your heart or be like me and send it!” said Stawinksi.