Knowledge for College

Abygail Mason, Staff Writer

Attention high schoolers: Just think about how close graduation is. You have less time than you think to find a college that goes with the career you want. Most colleges have a wide variety  of classes you can take, so it isn’t too hard. But to get accepted, you have to keep your grades up and start applying by the end of your junior year.

I researched some colleges that are close by, and also got advice from one of our newer guidance counselors, Gregory Hess (for more on Mr. Hess, see the sidebar).

“It is very important to focus on your grades,” said Mr. Hess. “And also to go on college visits to see what fits you.”

Lots of preparation for this process can help. Make sure to take advantage of the college visits offered by the school, or even talk to some alumnis about their colleges.

You may think of the guidance office as a place just for scheduling, but there are plenty of resources to look at for where you want to go.

“Do what makes you happy, it’s not about the money,” said Mr. Hess.

BC3 ( Butler County Community College):

BC3 has a wide variety of classes you can take, and it is not that far away. I recently went to an open house there, and they showed all of the classes they had, plus a tour of the entire school. It isn’t a very big college, with only about 4,000 students enrolled each year. If you are struggling with any of your classes, they do offer tutoring. (So no need to worry about not passing any of your classes.) Also, you can get enrolled in programs that can be transferred to a four-year college/university for a Bachelor’s Degree.

La Roche College:

La roche is definitely a more prestigious college and costs more, but also offers more classes. It is in Pittsburgh, so if it seems to be too far of a drive, you could have a choice to live on campus. You must also take either the ACT’s or the SAT’s. There is optional things you can do to get into this college, such as getting a letter of recommendation, or even typing an essay on why La Roche is the college for you. They also have a summer program, called the Providence Institution, to help you transition from high school to college as well.

Duquesne University:

Duquesne University is also a drive, so if it seems to be too far, you can live on campus. Mr. Hess went there and got his Master’s Degree in counseling. Duquesne has almost double the amount of students that BC3 has, with an acceptance rate of 73%. You have an option to assist your professor with a research project, no matter if you’re a graduate or an undergraduate. There is a 4:1 student-to-faculty ratio, so that gives you more of a chance to do that.

Slippery Rock University:

Slippery Rock gives you an opportunity to either stay on campus, or stay in apartments close by. They also offer summer housing, so if you need to stay close by, you can still live there. If you go on the website for Slippery Rock and click majors, they give you an option to pick which major you are interested in, and some information about them. All you need to apply to this school are your senior year transcripts, at least a 3.0 GPA, and average to above average scores on your SAT’s/ACT’s.

SIDEBAR

Favorite movie?

Wedding Crashers

Dogs or cats?

Dogs

Pepsi or coke?

Pepsi

Favorite pizza topping?

Bacon

Favorite song?

Black Rock by OAR

Any nicknames?

Hess

Most binge worthy Netflix show?

The Office

What should your students know about your background?

I went to Juniata College in 2013. (Near Penn State) After that, I went to Duquesne University for my Master’s Degree in School Counseling.

What did you know about Knoch before coming here?

I knew Ms. Allison.

What drew you to your job at Knoch?

I’ve always wanted to be a school counselor, and also this school was similar to my own.

Do you want share anything about your personal life?

I play soccer and basketball during the week. I am a Philly sports fan. I do not have any pets, but I do have 2 brothers.