Final Farewell

Final Farewell

Jenna Stallsmith, Video Editor

Dear underclassmen,

It’s hard to believe that I am a senior. That I no longer will be considered a high schooler after June 15th, 2018. Considering I have gone through and survived all four years of high school at Knoch I thought I would share my experience and give some advice. So enjoy!

Personally, I did not look at all my options for college. I waited till the summer before senior year to start touring and shadow potential career choices. Honestly, worst decision EVER. I am not saying to tour and shadow your freshman year, but I am saying to just get serious about it by the beginning of junior year. Not serious to where it stresses you out; this is supposed to be exciting and you don’t want to ruin the moment.

For example, I was so set on physical therapy the past couple years of high school that I didn’t even look at the million other options in the medical field. I then realized therapy wasn’t my cup of tea until I shadowed a lady at the end of junior year…we literally just sat and did nothing, we met with maybe three kids for their speech therapy. That’s when the stress started rolling in.

Also, colleges have opportunities for juniors too, not just seniors. Take advantage of those. Especially at the places you REALLY want to go. They will notice that you are interested early, which could benefit you when early application season comes in.

Visit college in a season you love most. You want to visit when it’s really thriving on campus. When students are out being active. You don’t want to be stuck inside the whole day or have horrible campus tours due to the weather. I visited the campus I am attending now in the winter time and it caused me to absolutely hate it. Yet, when I visited Cedarville University again during the early spring I fell in love. Just visit in the season you love most.

Don’t stay in the high school lifestyle. So many people get stuck in the motive that you NEED friends, or you NEED a relationship. NO YA DON’T! It is nice and all but I can tell you right now that these drama filled immature kids won’t interact with you once you are gone! Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice to have people you like to get through this prison, but don’t let them define you. Figure out who you are during these years before you go out into the real world. Figure out what you like and don’t like, what helps you study best for tests, and what you want to freaking do after high school.

GET INVOLVED! I do not care if it’s sports, clubs, or some weird hobbies. Just do it! Colleges LOVE that stuff. They literally look straight at how active you are and your grades. They DO NOT care how smart you are if all you did was study in high school. Go join the chess team or do volunteer work. Honestly get fake for the colleges; they won’t know.

GET A FREAKING JOB. For me, I was forced to get a job by my parents, but I would have if they didn’t. You got to learn NOW on how to properly save up, spend, and work with time management. How to deal with pay checks and bills to pay. Might as well learn now before you go out into the real world, because it’s scary out there and they EXPECT you to know this.

Have fun. Even though I made it seem crazy and stressful and lots of work for college. It is, I’m not lying. But still enjoy yourself. Go to football games. Do spirit week…even if they ruin the themes. Find the people you like to hang out with. Get good grades. Cheer on the sport teams. Do volunteer work to help others. Get serious. But don’t stress. You are thriving these four years to become the best you can and to figure out what the heck life is. So enjoy it and be positive!

That’s all I got take it or don’t. Just don’t do drugs kids.

Sincerely,

Your fellow senior.