What High Schoolers Are Actually Wearing: Jesse Ort

Jesse+%28center%29+and+the+band+will+be+playing+at+Hard+Rock+Cafe+June+25th%2C+at+8%3A00+pm.+

Jesse (center) and the band will be playing at Hard Rock Cafe June 25th, at 8:00 pm.

Grace Phillips, Staff Writer

Sophomore Jesse Ort not only dresses his own way, but is also the lead singer and guitarist of Travolta, a local rock group.

1. What does fashion and personal style mean to you?

Fashion means nothing to me because the implication is that it, (being my style, my clothes, etc.) is what is popular among others. This is not true. I like to go against the grain, and swim against the stream in every way.

2. How important is individuality to you?

Individuality is of extreme importance to me. Unfortunately, there are many that sacrifice themselves for others to appeal to them or to stay relevant. They’ll wear whatever is popular just to please others. That IS NOT me. I wear what I find beauty in with in absolute disregard for others.

3. How would you classify your style?

My style and appearance can not be placed in any particular box of classification. Were I to do such, I would say it is a retro 1970s look, with the long hair and bell bottoms. I loathe the word “vintage”. That word is reserved for hipsters.

4. What about your style would you consider unique or different?

Everything about my style screams unique. No one else has an appearance quite like mine and I love that. You are not born attatched to others, so why would you want to be just like them? I’ve been put down so many times before, but I couldn’t give a flying “walenda” what anyone else thinks. At least I am not a cookie-cutter high school guy. I’m different in every respect, and I stand apart from the collective. My clothing is just an outward portrayal of that.

5. Where is your favorite place to shop for clothes?

I love shopping for clothing. Dry Bones in Tarrentum is where I make most of my purchases.

6. Where do you get style inspiration?

My biggest inspiration is me, myself, and what I want. A big influence also is the fact that I’m a rock guitarist. I grew long hair because it is an outward representation of my being different from every other man. I have found that I naturally just desire to wear the clothes I wear.

7. Any style advice for others?

Be yourself. You weren’t born attached to others and others can not think for you. Be what you want, within reason and logic of course. A carbon copy is worthless compared to an original. Other than that, I could not care less what others do. I am far too concerned with important things to be remotely concerned with others.

8. Do you have a favorite piece you own?

I love my lace bell-bottoms. They rock…hardcore.