Count your Blessings

Melanie McCalip, Staff Writer

You wake up every morning to an alarm set for 6 A.M. from your cell phone. Getting up slowly but surely you make your way to the bathroom where you brush your teeth and shower with fresh, clean water. Using the electricity to blow dry your hair or use a straightener. When you go down to the kitchen, you’re presented with an array of breakfast options. Fresh fruit, waffles, maybe some yogurt or eggs. You get in your car to drive yourself to school. What seems like a normal morning to kids like us is another child’s dream. Opportunities you and I have are ones children can’t even begin to comprehend.

Did you know that 263 million children globally are out of school for various reasons? Economy, family, negligence, money. In some cases it isn’t even an option. Central African Republic’s student to teacher ratio is 80:1.

There are 57 million kids alone that don’t have even a school to go to, it’s simply just not an option for them. Mostly in poor countries.

In some countries, young women are denied their rights to go to school and get a public education. Instead, they are expected to work and even marry young. In Ethiopia, two in five females are married before the age of 18. Most of these are countries that are still developing. However, this is not always the main issue. Gender gaps and social and economical barriers are also a huge factor.

45% of countries don’t include access to education described in any part of legal code or documentation.

How can you help? You can get involved and learn more by visiting https://www.we.org/we-villages/education/

A topic like this  wouldn’t usually cross your mind, but somewhere out in the world this is someone’s reality. Kids upwards of nine, ten or eleven are working to support their family and give them a slight chance. They lack a home without the proper necessities, water, food, access to clean clothes, electricity, things we take for granted everyday.

Next time you don’t want to go to school, think of the children who don’t have the opportunities we have. Count your blessings.