Who Runs the World?

Appreciating Women in Sports

The month of March is often known for the coming of Spring, or in Western Pennsylvania, the weird Winter/Spring mix we are teased with. Even though there are many things that come with the month of March, it is recognized as Women’s History Month.

Making March 8th noted as International Women’s Day, there is also a day in February dedicated specifically to the women who dominate in athletics. February 2nd is the national day of observance to acknowledge the great achievements and accomplishments of many different female athletes.

“It’s nice to show that women can be good at sports and not just men,” said freshman softball and soccer player Grace Hensch.

Growing up, the sports that were watched in my house were heavily male-dominated, along with the fact that my two brothers play a male-dominated sport, ice hockey. Even though women play many of the same sports that men play, girls don’t get the same amount of praise that male athletes receive.

“It’s disappointing because even if the girls team works harder, the boys will still get more attention,” said junior soccer and basketball player Megan Vasas.

As the numbers of female athletes are on a rise, still only about 18% are women athletes, compared to men, who make up about 78% on the professional level. Even if you take a look at high schools, universities and colleges, the male athletics are not only more dominated, but even more funded.

New helmets, jerseys, cleats, practice and warm up gear, even to brand new locker rooms.

“[Funding] depends on the situation,” said senior volleyball and softball player Brynnae Coe, “I do think [some] are treated a bit better than all sports.”

Even though there are some bumps in the road with being a female athlete, some women in sports make groundbreaking accomplishments.

Take pro-tennis player Serena Williams for example, having 23 Grand Slam singles titles, winning more than woman or man during the open era. Williams is giving women everywhere the opportunity to see how impactful they can be in the sports world.

Take a look at a few of the amazing women who represent our athletics at our school!

Senior Maddie Boyer, who just recently reached her 1,000 point in her basketball career, along with being the first female golfer in Knoch history to make it to the WPIAL Championships.

Sophomore Meredith Martin, who participated in the United States Powerlifting Association (USPA) Powerlifting Meet, and obtained the Pennsylvania State Record for both the Junior Women Age 13-15 division as well as the USPA Women’s Open (All Ages) for her weight class. Martin also took 1st place for Bench Press in both the Junior and Women’s Open Division.

Photo by the USA Hockey Instagram

Sophomores Sydnee Pitkins and Dara Patten should be recognized for their amazing talent they demonstrate while playing for the Steel City Selects U14 team. The two girls recently went undefeated the weekend of March 12-14th. Pitkins was also just recognized by the USA Hockey Instagram account and was posted for International Women’s Day.

The extraordinary accomplishments from both of these girls are not to be overlooked, along with the numerous other astounding athletes at our school.

With taking the step to join teams, it not only takes confidence, but also helps shape it.

“It definitely built my confidence,” said sophomore Sarah Fleishner. “Players need to make sure they’re not too hard on themselves as well.”

Not only girls, but athletes everywhere need to make sure they are dedicating time off the field, court, rink, for themselves, to make sure they are getting the rest, nutrition, and strength they need to continue being as successful as they are.

Your mental state is just as important as your physical state.

The sports community is just like a huge family; there is always someone to turn to, coaches, teammates, or even trainers.

“If you are thinking about joining a sport, do it,” said Fleishner. “You won’t regret it!”