Tornado of New Teachers Hits Knoch

Abygail Mason, Staff Writer

A few new and exciting people are stepping up to bat for some of our past teachers. I interviewed the three new people: History teacher Ms. Lemmon, Spanish teacher Mrs. Baylor, and temporary English teacher Ms. Alicandro.

Q: Where did you go to college?
Ms. Lemmon: “I went to UPJ (Pitt- Johnstown) and dual-majored in History and Secondary Social Studies Education. (2008-2012)”
Mrs. Baylor: “I went to Penn State University and CALU for graduate school.”
Ms. Alicandro: “I completed my Undergraduate studies at Robert Morris University, and then I went on to complete a Master’s degree at Slippery Rock University.”

Q: Where did you grow up?
Ms. Lemmon: “I grew up in Jefferson Township, which is right outside of Saxonburg. So, I actually graduated from Knoch in 2008.”
Mrs. Baylor: “I grew up in Wexford, PA.”
Ms. Alicandro: “I grew up in a small town called Freedom, about an hour from here, past Cranberry. It’s very similar to the communities in the SBCSD… very remote, and lots of farm land. I live in Moon currently.”

Q: If you could take a vacation to anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?
Ms. Lemmon: “I would like to travel through Europe. However, I would specifically like to visit Italy. I would choose this destination because I have Italian roots and Italian ancestry and I have always wanted to see the country where my great-great grandparents lived.”

Q: Where is the most recent place you have traveled? What did you like most about it and why?
Mrs. Baylor: “The most recent country I visited was Jamaica. My husband and I went there for our honeymoon this summer. What I liked the most was the Jamaican people and their dialect of English, Patois. Jamaicans are extremely friendly and peaceful people. I really enjoyed getting to know some of them.”
Q: Have you taught anywhere else other than Knoch? If so, where and what did you teach?
Ms. Alicandro: “I completed my student teaching at Moon High School. I spent last year teaching grade 7 English at Pine-Richland Middle School.”
Q: What is the scariest thing that has ever happened to you?
Ms. Lemmon: “When I was 16, I went to the Outer Banks, NC with my family for our family vacation. Towards the end of our week there, my older sister, cousin and I decided to swim out to a sandbar in the ocean. However, on our way there, we were caught in a rip current and we had to tread water for about 30 minutes and had a difficult time getting out of the rip current. It was extremely scary as I didn’t think we were going to be able to swim out of it, but fortunately we did!”

Q: What is your funniest childhood memory? Why?
Mrs. Baylor: “This is a tough question! My dad always made hilarious memories with us. One of the funny memories I have with him is watching him run around our house while our dog, Bandit, chased him and tried to nip him in the behind. Sometimes he would get holes in his pants from it. Also, anytime my dad danced was hysterical because he has the goofiest moves, so goofy
that my mom would pretend she

didn’t know him.”
Q: What was your most favorite childhood tv show and why?
Ms. Alicandro: “I can remember loving The Rugrats when I was young. I’m not sure why it was my favorite; I think that I just thought it was funny.”

Q: What is your favorite song at the moment and why?
Ms. Lemmon: “Being the History nerd that I am, I really like the entire Hamilton soundtrack, but really enjoy “Non-stop” from the soundtrack. It’s my favorite because it summarizes how Hamilton became such an influential founding father to the US.”

Q: If you could have any occupation you wanted, what would you be and why?
Mrs. Baylor: “I am living my dream! I want to be a Spanish teacher! I love my job!In a fantasy world, though, I would love to be Anthony Bourdain. He travels the world and tries every country’s food and gets paid to do it!!!!”

Q: If you could go back in time and change one thing, what would it be and why?
Ms Alicandro: “There isn’t any specific thing that I would go back in time to change; every experience that I have had has shaped who I am and where I am today. However, if I could go back in time, there are two things that I would tell my younger self: Always be yourself and don’t sweat the small stuff, most of the time, it doesn’t matter anyway.”
Q: How long have you been a substitute teacher at Knoch? Do you plan on teaching at Knoch for a long time? Why/Why not?
Ms. Lemmon: “I was a substitute within the district for the last 4 years. Within that time period, I was given the opportunity to complete several long-term assignments. So, I taught 7th grade Western World for Mr. Wood in 2015, I taught AP U.S. History, Sociology and 9th grade American History for Mrs. Remensky in 2015-2016, and I taught AP U.S. History and Psychology for Mr. Zebrine last fall, 2016. I was very excited to hear that there was an opening for a full-time, contracted position this year. I plan on teaching here for a while because I am a graduate of Knoch High School and enjoy working with the Staff and Faculty here. The students are excellent, too!!!”

Q: Why did you choose to become a Spanish Teacher?
Mrs. Baylor: “I chose to become a Spanish teacher because I would love to inspire students to travel the world and think outside of the box! My Spanish and Russian teachers did that for me when I was a student and I’m forever grateful to them.”

Q: If you could meet any celebrity, who would it be and why?
Ms. Alicandro: “There are far too many choices to choose from to answer this question… I would probably choose to meet Shonda Rhimes, the creator of the shows Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal, and How to Get Away with Murder. I am an avid writer, as is Rhimes, and I envy her ability to write strong storylines that always keep viewers on the edge of their seat and wanting more. I also love the fact that in each of her shows she writes such a strong female lead; she pushes boundaries in so many ways.”

Q: What is your favorite thing about Ms. Alicandro?
Freshman Paige DeGreen: “My favorite thing about Ms. A has to be that she is kind, and really helps the students she has. She is very kind because when students need help or all falling behind, she helps them. She never has a bad attitude. She may get strict, but every teacher does. Ms. A really values her students and wants them to succeed. She helps the students by explaining her questions further and giving examples. She’s a really great English teacher and I’m glad to be one of her students.”

Q: What is your favorite thing about Ms. Lemmon?
Freshman Lucas Goldinger: “My favorite thing about Ms. Lemmon is that she has a great personality. Everyday Ms. Lemmon seems like she is the happiest person in the building. Along with having a great personality, she is also very helpful.”

Q: What is your favorite thing about Mrs. Baylor?
Sophomores Andy Schriher and Mackensie Roccia: “Mrs. Baylor is a fun, comical, and friendly Spanish teacher. She keeps Spanish entertaining, lively, and enjoyable while making it highly educational. She includes activities that turn Spanish into a refreshing atmosphere. She implies a unique teaching style that is unfamiliar with Knoch.”