Cameron in the House

Major Changes to the Class of 2018

Senior Cam Elliott used Photoshopped images like the one above to gain recognition during his class president campaign.

photo courtesy of Cam Elliott

Jenna Stallsmith, Video Editor

After an exciting competition for the class president position between seniors Matt Gore and Cameron Elliott, the results came in. In an upset, Elliott was elected, ending Gore’s three year term as the president of the class of 2018. Two other positions changed: the vice principal and treasurer. The election created a lot of buzz, not just amoungst the senior class but the whole student body.

First, students should understand why class officers are such a big deal, especially the president. The president position involves a lot of hard work and pressure, especially for senior year. The purpose of class cabinet is to raise money in different ways for prom. Classes have come up with different ways to fundraise, from the dodgeball tournament to selling homemade chocolate pretzels. The preparation is super important or else your prom isn’t as bomb.

Not only is prom on the senior class cabinet’s back, but also the class reunions after high school. The president is in charge of scheduling, inviting, and buying all the things needed for the reunion. If they don’t do it, then there is simply no reunion.

Before the election, Gore said, “I have been doing this job for three years and have beaten out all who have tried to go against me. Cam tried to run last year and lost, don’t forget that. We have been very profitable through these three years. We will have more money for prom than last year’s lads did. I don’t see any changes being made. Everything we are doing is working, so why change it?”

Clearly, Elliott disagreed.

“It’s time for a change. I would like to give more visibility to the position. There seems to be a view that only those who have held officer positions in the past are capable of holding these positions going forward. I disagree, it’s time to drain the swamp. I would do my best to make senior year memorable,” says Elliott.

With that confidence going into the election, Gore decided to change none of his campaign even though Elliott used social media as an outlet to get people to acknowledge him as a candidate.

“Lucas Goldinger wanted to start an Instagram, and I thought it was a GREAT idea because it could add comic relief,” said Elliott.

Some would say making the Instagram account – hilarious yet horribly photoshopped- was a great idea. However, one picture got Elliott in a bit of trouble. A picture of Gore and Elliott’s head were photoshopped into the bodies of the boxers Floyd Mayweather and Connor McGregor.

Other problems that arose as Election Day came up, it came to Mrs. Grants’ attention that underclassmen were voting, which is not allowed due to it being the senior class election.

“A senior was giving another senior the code for the google classroom and a junior heard it, signed in, and voted,” explains Vice President Ben McMillen.

Therefore it was postponed to the following Monday, but this time on paper. The office positions were President: Matt Gore and Cameron Elliott, Vice President: Ben McMillen and Carly Bozzo, Secretary was just Liz Albert, and Treasurer: Coleman Brands and Emily Ciganik.

As an end result the senior class chose Cameron Elliott as president, Ben McMillen as Vice President, Liz Albert as Secretary, and Coleman Brands as Treasurer.

“My first thought was to tell my mom,” said Elliott.

Although Gore had no comment after the election, Elliott still hopes to have a friendship with Gore and have the same respect on both sides.

“In office we are going to focus on raising money and making our senior class proud,” Said McMillen

“I couldn’t ask for better officers, got a full sweep. They are hard workers and are some of our class’ best. I have a duty to serve my class. Thanks for the support and the votes!” said Elliott.