T’was the Night Before Prom

Kaya Morgan, Staff Writer

It all starts with promposals, then the endless talk about prom, spirit week, finally leading up to the day some people have been waiting for their whole high school career for. But it is not as easy as it may seem. Between running out of tickets, not getting them in time, your dress not fitting-it’s not all smooth sailing. It is that time when girls start obsessing over dresses, and stressing out to make sure their hair, nails, and make up are done perfectly. For many it is all about spending money to get the perfect look, getting the best date and getting all glammed up. However, some people take a more relaxed approach to prom.

“I am getting my eyelashes touched up and nails done the day before, and I’m getting my hair done at Lightning Hair Lounge the morning of prom,” said senior Madison Nicolazzo.

As many know, there was a debate on whether prom goers this year would be able to drive themselves or if they would have to ride a bus. But luckily, with lots of convincing by the senior class, they were able to get their own ride. Many students rent fancy cars, get a limo or even a party bus, but it’s not as easy as you think to get in a vehicle with a prom dress. Many girls struggle to get with tight dresses and big Cinderella gowns.

There are many different types of dresses and suits to choose from, then the endless struggle of trying to match the perfect color to matches your dates dress.  Some girls choose to go with a used dress, but most buy theirs new.  However, that doesn’t mean you can’t still get a great deal on your dress.

“I bought my dress from Macy’s and it was on sale,” said senior Aleah Young.

“I got my dresses from a store in New York,” said Nicolazzo.

For guys, the prom preparing doesn’t take as long to get ready. They have a much simpler process. Guys don’t have to get their nails and hair done, at most they get a haircut.

“It is much easier for guys to get ready,” said Young.  “But guys don’t have as much to do to get ready for the day.”

It isn’t cheap getting all fancied up. On average, teen girls spend over a thousand dollars for prom. Girls spend about eighty dollars on their makeup and about one hundred dollars on hair. Overall, it is very expensive to go to prom, and depending on your grade the ticket cost can be expensive too.

“I plan on hanging out with my friends before and after prom,” said Young.

On top of all of this, it is an honor to be crowed prom king and queen, and this year was no different.

“I was really surprised I won!” said senior Abbey Fields.

Prom is definitely a night to remember. Whether good or bad, it’s a memory that will last a life time.

“The best experience at prom was seeing everyone in their dresses and tuxes,” said Fields.