Alexa Play When Worlds Collide

Paige Duke, staff writer

This quarantine is changing our lifestyle, and whether it’s for the better or worse, it probably depends on if you’re introverted or extroverted. 

For me, this stay at home order isn’t taking much of a toll on me; it’s just a better excuse for me to stay at home, and binge Criminal Minds for the millionth day in a row.

You would think that extroverted people would hate being forced to stay at home. That may be true for most, but Junior Tessa Gallagher’s experience has exceeded her expectations about all of this.  

“I’m an extrovert. I’m outgoing and I love talking to people. No matter who it is, I could start a convo with them. But to get to the point, I think I’m handling this whole thing great. My grades are a lot better, I’ve been sleeping more and am finally on an actual sleep schedule,” she said. “Mainly I miss just going outside and seeing my family more.

What most extroverted people find fun, like going to crowded places for example, introverted people find exhausting. And this quarantine is forcing the outgoing people down to  our level. 

Knoch Alumni Alyssa Ripper said college kids are feeling the same.

”I’m definitely an introvert because I am pretty quiet in large groups and I’d rather stay in than go out. Honestly there’s good days and bad days to this. I get up early like I would for school, and try to eat healthy but also I still let myself be a little lazy and watch tiktoks for hours,” she said. “However, I just get mood swings where I miss college and my friends and ‘normal life’ and my motivation just goes down significantly.”

Ripper thinks things may improve soon. 

“Since I’ve gotten used to being socially isolated, the weather getting nice is making me feel better. But those first few weeks were rough due to adjusting. Like most people, I don’t do well with change especially something at this extreme,” said Ripper.

As much as self-isolation can be useful to honing your hobbies, we also need to figure out how to maintain relationships and connections.

Junior Blair Bowen said, “I’m doing pretty well, but I’ve noticed that some of my extroverted friends have been more lonely or have been realizing they are more introverted after all.”

One student that isn’t handling quarantine very well is sophomore Maddie Zellhart.

“I’ve always been a social person but I’ve been isolating myself from everyone including my family. I honestly miss all my friends from school and visiting people on the weekend” she said. “I’ve just not been motivated to do anything anymore and it’s been like this since the beginning of April. March was no big deal but now I don’t have the desire to do anything. I’ve tried new ways to make myself motivated by starting to knit and to get a new job. Those are the only things that have me going right now other than watching Greys Anatomy,” she said. 

Other than being unmotivated, some students have found that they are stressed about things that they never noticed before they had to stay at home. 

Gallagher said, “This isn’t really related to me liking this quarantine but I lost my chromebook in October and I only noticed now. She vanished. I’ve checked lost and found and the pits of the school, but I think some little goblin stole it from my locker or something. I’m stressed about not finding it and not being able to do my work because I don’t have money to get a new one. I haven’t even paid off a 15 dollar book fine from my freshman year.”

Whether you’re introverted or not, this quarantine is getting to all of us. Just stay home so everything can go back to normal sometime soon. 

On a final note, Gallagher said, “If you stole my chromebook and are reading this, please kindly return her.”