Why is Dairy Queen Essential?

This+is+the+front+doors+to+the+Dairy+Queen.+

This is the front doors to the Dairy Queen.

Andrew Brandt, Staff Writer

Put on your gloves and masks ‘cause this article is about essential jobs.

I don’t think it is a surprise that the Covid-19 outbreak shut down non-life sustaining businesses, but these essential workplaces are still open for business. Others, along with myself, still have to go to work and make money.

What makes a business essential? Technically, it’s up to cities and states to decide, but there are some businesses that all locals have deemed essential. These include supermarkets, grocery stores, pharmacies, gas stations, auto-repair shops, and fast food businesses.

Several of the students at Knoch are still employed and among them is Senior Michael Kohl who works at Target.

“My main job is to fill shelves throughout the grocery section for all the guests to have what they need,” said Kohl.

With the government making restrictions and new rules for businesses, most jobs have changed drastically. Employers have had to make serious changes to their business, such as refusing customers that don’t wear masks and practicing social distancing.

“We now have to wear masks and wash our hands more frequently and practice social distancing,” said Kohl.

It’s no different from where I work [Dairy Queen]. We have to wear masks and can only serve through the drive-thru.

While some may fear catching the virus, others don’t.

“I don’t fear to get the virus because I am young and I follow all needed procedures to prevent myself from getting the virus,” said Kohl

On the flip side, there are non-essential businesses. Nonessential businesses are generally recreational in nature. They don’t provide groceries, health or financial support, or utilities. These could include theaters, gyms and recreation centers, salons and spas, and museums. The other half of the students were considered unessential among those is sophomore Julianna Crites who worked at The Clubhouse in Gibsonia.

“I worked at the Redemption/Game room, counting everyone’s tickets, handing out prizes, or fixing games,” said Crites. “Arcade games are not an everyday need or a necessity in life.”

While not working, many of these non-essential employees find themselves with a large amount of free time.

“I’m reading a lot, organizing, or going outside,” said Crites.

Many non-essential employees have no idea what the future holds. Some might not return to jobs while others are still hopeful.

“Yes absolutely, I love working there and the owner is amazing,” said Crites. “All the employees get along really well. It’s like a big group of best friends.”

Pennsylvania has moved most counties to yellow meaning that most businesses can reopen. This is a large step to getting things back to normal.