Keeping the Ball Rolling

Tennis Team Attempting to Repeat

Megan Mitchell, Staff Writer

Last year, the girl’s tennis team won Sections for the fifth consecutive year and the seventh time in the program’s history. The team then went on the win WPIAL’s and State’s for the first time ever. It was an amazing season.

The talented team was led by 2021 graduates Laura Greb and Brooke Bauer. Laura won the tennis WPIAL single’s championship for the fourth time in a row, and has been the only person ever to do so.

After last year’s amazing season, even with the loss of some talent, the team is hoping to go all the way again.

Junior Captain Ally Bauer, who won second place doubles at State’s last year with her older sister Brooke, is hoping to go back to State’s as a team. This year, she plays second singles.

“I really hope we make it to states again as a team, but of course the road to get there is hard and not guaranteed,” Ally said.

To go to State’s, the team has to win WPIAL’s. To go to WPIAL’s, the team has to win Sections.

Sophomore Lindsey Greb, who plays third singles, said, “Our toughest competition is probably Sewickley Academy. We won’t have to play them until WPIAL finals.”

Meanwhile, the team is working hard to get there despite many obstacles.

While sophomore Ava Santora points out that Covid has been difficult to deal with, sophomore Emily Greb points out another difficulty: the weather.

“The biggest struggle for our team this year is the lack of consistency of playing matches because many were cancelled due to rain,” Emily said.

While tennis competes at Sections, WPIAL’s, and State’s as a team, certain people also get the chance to compete as individuals for singles and doubles.

Ally also played singles at Sections this year.

“At section singles I made it to the finals and had to play my own teammate, Emily Greb,” Ally said. “Of course that was hard because no one likes playing their own teammate. I won and that was my first time winning section singles!”

With a win at Section singles, Ally played singles at WPIAL’s and placed second. The second place finish has allotted Ally a spot to play singles at State’s.

Emily placed second at Section singles, and fourth at WPIAL singles, which means that she unfortunately won’t get to compete at State singles. However, Emily then joined twin sister Lindsey to play at Section doubles, and they won Section doubles and WPIAL doubles, meaning that they will move on to State doubles.

Santora and sophomore Jade Nether also competed at Section doubles and placed second, losing to Emily and Lindsey. In WPIAL doubles, they lost in the quarterfinals, meaning they will not move onto State’s.

With a win over Indiana, the team became Section Champions for the sixth consecutive year, and will be moving on to team WPIAL’s.