Wordle Me This?

Wordle Me This?

Jake Santora, Video Editor

Wordle is the nationwide gaming phenomenon that has captured the attention of everyone, and it has solidified itself as a daily priority amongst all who play. Even I fall victim to its “wordly” grasp everyday.

But what exactly is Wordle?

Wordle is an online game that consists of six chances to solve the word of the day. If a letter turns green, it is in the word and the right spot. If yellow, the letter is in the word but not the correct spot. People are obsessed,

“It urges motivation. If everyday you try and guess a new word, you’re not only challenging yourself mentally, but also providing yourself an opportunity to start up new goals that may take longer than just a few minutes a day,” said senior Hannah Huffman. 

Other people hate it.

“It makes me feel like an idiot,” said senior Nikolas Fox

Let’s start with a little history. 

Wordle creator, the appropriately named Josh Wardle, had no clue of the massive success the game would bring. He initially created the game for his wife, but once it started to amass in popularity, he swiftly sold the game to The New York Times and grabbed that green.

The game offers an escape from reality to put your focus elsewhere once per day, which many students believe is the key to its popularity here at Knoch

“I think it has brought us all together in a way. An example of that is my friends and I do it all the time together in first period. Also, in our musical group chat, we share how long it took to get the wordle,” said freshman Sarah Conley.

Junior Megan Edder agrees.

“Every day Ethan Fink and I have a competition to see who can do the Wordle first,” said Edder

The world could also benefit from an app like Wordle. According to some students, it broadens the grammar and vocabulary aspects of the brain.

“I think it is helping our generation learn new words we can use in our daily vocabulary,” said junior Delia Devore.

Senior Dade George agrees.

“I don’t know about the world, but at least in high school it has helped me and my friends to have a fun time figuring out words together,” said George.

Some students have been playing since the game first became popular while others have just started.

“I’ve played for about three months,” said junior Ashley Walters

And some have not.

“I’ve never played,” said freshman Seth Raymond.

Whether you have or haven’t played, there is no denying the impact the game has made at Knoch.