Mingle on Main

Willow Danehy, Feature Editor

Spring has sprung and as the flowers come out to enjoy the warm sunshine so do the people of Saxonburg! A personal favorite of mine when it comes to doing so is the Mingle of Main, and I know I’m not alone in this as most people I know young and old cherish the small town festivity.

For those of you who don’t know what it is, Mingle on Main is an event on Saxonburg Main Street the third Thursday of every month starting in May and going until September. Organized by the Saxonburg Area Business Association, festivities begin at 5:30pm and start shutting down around 8:30.

“I love committing tomfoolery and dilly dallying around Mingle on Main,” said freshman Owen Dravis. “It is such a great time.”

Once you’re out on the town, there’s lots to do. There are all sorts of craft vendors and local businesses that do pop up tents with a wide variety of categories. You can shop for clothes, jewelry, accessories, trinkets, antiques, etc. One of my favorite pairs of jeans I bought at a mingle last year! I’ve personally also gotten my grandma a birthday gift and matching headbands with my friends from various vendors.

“It’s a great time to chill with friends and invest in new things,” said freshman Anthony Buzzeli. “My favorite stores that were there in the past was the tent with goat’s milk soap and lotion.”

The crowd that the mingle draws is a perfect opportunity for fundraising and advertising, which you’ll be sure to find a lot of. The Women’s Club often sells baked goods and if my grammy’s pies are there trust me when I say it’s worth your time. Although no one likes a sales pitch, visiting a small, local businesses booth can often be more worth your time than you’d think as it allows you to grow a sense of community, engage with new people, and maybe even get a free pen or lollipop–totally worth it.

Most importantly, there’s fantastic food. Drinks from the coffee shop, Batch, or one of the bajillion lemonade stands are there to keep you refreshed if you’re lucky enough for the day to be warm. Food trucks of all kinds, from gyros to shaved ace, to cater to any of your cravings.

“Last year, there was this food truck that had poutine,” said freshman Elijah Adley. “It was soooo good.”

Not only will you surely find an abundance of opportunity to spend money, but you’ll see a familiar face around every corner. I know when I go, I see friends from my school–and sometimes even other schools–old teammates and coaches, and always my grandparents’ friends (which is awesome because I love hearing about what a beautiful young lady I’ve grown up to be.)

“Me and my friends always love exploring the town and just walking up and down main street enjoying the festivities,” said junior Morgan Connor. “We are constantly pleasantly surprised by familiar faces.”

Anyone who’s attended in the past would surely encourage a newcomer’s attendance. There really is something for everyone and you’re bound to have a good time no matter what. BE sure to mark your calendars and have some friends do the same!