Scheduling Struggles

Troubles with 2021-22 Scheduling

Is this a new guidance counselor?

Is this a new guidance counselor?

Samantha Moody, Staff Writer

It’s coming to the near end of summer, and you know schedules are being sent out soon. You pray that you have classes with your best friends and hope that you get all that you picked. When the day comes, you open your schedule, and it is pure disappointment.

You have no classes with your friends, let alone you got classes you didn’t even schedule for.

“Most of the electives were not what I requested,” said senior Caden Traggiai, “and then after getting it fixed, it still wasn’t right.”

Starting the school year is stressful enough and adding the stress of having to figure out your whole schedule again is in a whole other ball park.

With students dropping classes, changing courses, trying to switch classes to be with friends, it is just as stressful for the guidance counselors. Not to add that some students resented to emailing a different counselor to try to get things fixed.

“We have to get through hundreds of schedule changes in a short amount of time,” said guidance counselor Mr. Hess. “The counselors are not working all summer long, and we only have certain days to come into the office.”

Making schedules is a long, puzzle-like process. With constant request changes, it causes a disruption in the balance of making schedules.

When making schedules, counselors, guided by Mr. Trofimuk base class sizes off of the previous school year. This allows the staff to have a general idea of how many students normally would take the class. Not only do the counselors go off of class sizes, but they also have to work around how many students can fit in that class. In addition to that, they must work around that only certain classes can be during certain periods.

With so many students, and so few teachers for each class, the process can get extremely complicated.

As many know, the school now only has one German teacher, Frau Karns. With going down to one teacher, her schedule is packed full with German 1-4 classes, with her biggest class being 27 students.

27 students in one class.

“I’m certain it is difficult for many students to learn in such a crowded space with little to no individual attention,” said Frau Karns.

Even though there were some complications with scheduling this year, counselors and teachers made their best efforts to accommodate to everyone.

“I just want to thank the students and staff for being patient and working with us through the scheduling process,” said Mr. Hess. “Thanks for being understanding when not everything worked out with your schedule and not screaming at us, even though you may have been cursing us behind closed doors.”